Chapter Eighteen

{Cole's POV:}

"I'm looking for a girl who was sent here? Maybe you could tell me where she is?"

The stout woman stared at me flatly, emotionless even. Chomping away on a piece of gum, my mind raced with the horrid thoughts of my - I mean, Brooke - being holed up here with the criminals. I hope she's okay...she has to be.

Gnawing on my lower lip, I began to practically beg for a location. "Are you her family, or her lawyer?"

And then my mouth opened, the words rushing out like water from a broken dam. "I'm her boyfriend," I lied smoothly.

The strange thing was that it felt so natural claiming her. Almost like second-nature. "Mhm." She gave me a skeptical look.

I don't know if she actually believed me, or if she just pitied me, but she nodded. "What's your name?"

"Cole Wilson."

Her eyes flickered with something indefinable. Recognition? "Wait, you aren't here for Carter, are you?"

"Carter, yes! Brookelyn Carter!" She paused her jaw, a bright grin beginning to spread across her dark cheeks. "Wait, how do you know Brooke?"

Even though I'm pretty sure interrogation should've been the other way around, she explained herself. She said she'd helped her. Of, course she did. Brookelyn was so kind; too nice for me. "So, when can I see her?"

A small frown appeared on her face. "I thought you already knew. She was already released."

"What?" I breathed out. Well, there goes my master-plan. And then my thoughts went berserk.

Where could she be? Who could she be with? Was she alright? Is she safe? How would she act if she saw me? What would she do if I told her everything I was feeling? That I liked her as so much more than just a friend...?

Stop it, I mentally scolded myself. This is about Brookelyn, not me. Her safety, not mine. Her heart...even if it'll never belong to me.

And that was the saddest of all the truths.

Sure, I could love her. Sure, I did love her. But if she didn't share the same emotion...then it wouldn't even be worth it. It would crush me; destroy me, even. "Yeah, an older male came and paid for her to go home."

Brookelyn, my Brookelyn. Damn, I did it again! Anyway, Brookelyn and another man? No, she wouldn't do that to me, right? She must've known that my feelings for her were strong. As much as I downplayed, I could tell that I was about as subtle as a gun. Maybe she'd heard about the other girls.... But, she had Alex. So it compensates, I think. "What male? When?"

I was jealous. So much so that it was insane. If she had met another guy, I don't know what I'd do. But for some reason, I had a very uneasy feeling in my gut. "Earlier this evening the guy named, Evan, I believe came and got her. He said he was picking her up for her father."

I froze. Only hearing the thundering of my own heartbeat in my ears.

"Do you know why she was here?"

Her eyebrows furrowed. "I mean, I never really checked because I was guarding so...no? But she's been quite the trouble maker from what I've heard. Officer Widell mentioned you," she added with a smirk.

My brows furrowed in confusion, but I shook away the oddity. "Her father beat her. And her mother. The news said that he tried to kill his wife, and Brookelyn stopped him." The woman's eyes widened dramatically as she understood what I was telling her. "That's why she's here; because she saved someone's life."