Chapter One: The Chase

Chapter One

     Crystal’s white fur blew through the wind as she ran faster and faster through the snowy forest. Her breath was heavy, and her paws hit the ground hard. The freedom of running was the one thing she loved about being a wolf.

      She was hungry, so hungry that she had noticed that she ran into her pack’s enemies’ territory; it was the only place she wasn’t free in. The war between their two families had been raging for centuries, and Crystal didn’t fully understand why they hated each other so much. Her father never told her the main reason of the hatred, because it was something so horrible, but after being told stories, she had developed a burning hate for the family.

     She stopping in a clearing; the grass glistened under the moonlight, and the mist hung just bellows the trees. She could smell two enemy wolves; Crystal tried to turn around, but was stopped by another larger wolf that was standing in front of her. Smirking down at her, the wolf put the fear of God through her.

    The wolf, Everett, grinned down at Crystal menacingly and began to make his attack; being in his wolf form, he could do more damage than in human form. He bit and scratched her so many times that the blood began to coat his fur; he wanted her dead, because in his mind he thought the less in the pack, the better. Not far away, his younger brother, Francis, was walking through the woods while enjoying the winter nature.

Crystal lay helpless; she was much smaller than any other wolf in both families, and she had no desire to fight. Her white fur was now coated with blood; she though she was going to die. She growled at him as a warning and tried desperately to get up as Everett watched her.

     When she finally was on all fours, Everett just pushed her back down; he bit and slashed at her more, then her left her there to die.

    She winced in pain as the cold snow froze over her sores, and with all of her remaining strength, she turned herself back into her human form; she thought about calling for help, but she didn’t want Everett to come back and finish her off.

    Francis heard her whimper and ran towards it only to see a girl. He gasped in shock, and he shook his head, unable to look at the wounds without feeling sick. He went to the side and tore his top furs off; he used them to press onto Crystal’s wounds and soak up the blood.

“Oh my God, What happened?” he said.

   She gazed up at Francis who was standing next to her; her vision was weak, but she could make out his face that looked familiar to her.

“I-a-a w-wolf att-tack-ed m-me.” she whispered.

    The pure loss of blood had made her very weak; she was hardly breathing, and her body felt numb from the cold. Francis found her blood type, and he took some blood from himself, because he coincidentally had the same blood type.

    He carried to her to a bed and tucked her in. “Ow.” she winced, as she felt a needle being put into her arm. She hated needles. Crystal suddenly felt all the pain melt away, as she drifted off into sleep. Francis stood by the bed the whole time, for he wanted to make sure she was okay; he began to make her some food while she slept.

   Crystal woke up to the sounds of pans banging; she sat up wincing in pain again, and she stood up and wobbled as she took a couple of steps; the pain was too much though. He ran over and made her sit down.

“You’re still to weak.” he said.

     He walked her back over to the bed, and he set the soup he made in front of her. She looked up at him; he looked so familiar to her.

“Why are you helping me?”

“Because leaving you would’ve condemned you to death. I couldn’t leave you no matter what my pack says.”

   Crystal ate her soup as Francis got some clothes for her; she got up and changed in the bathroom.

‘I must get back soon’ she thought to herself.

She came out and sat back down in bed.

“I’m Crystal.” She said, for he didn’t know her name.

“River...Francis River.” He said all James Bond like.

    Francis picked Crystal up and carried her back to her own family.

     As they past a clearing in the woods, she saw her large house. She saw her father standing on the porch with his arms crossed.

"Put my daughter down now!" he yelled before Evie could say anything.

"No dad! Don't he saved me. He was just bring me home honest" she told him softly.

"I swear if you harmed a hair on my princesses head I will come and find you ending your miserable life!" he growled again his voiced boomed echoing through the forest, "leave now!"