Dragon Tamers (Charlie Weasley)

Start from the beginning

I rolled my eyes, a small scoff slipping past my lips. If Bill thought that I would fall for this crass idiot then he had another thing coming.

"Don't try anything Charlie, I'm here on ministry business."

A low whistle slipped past Charlie's lips, "You've changed since Hogwarts; are you all work, no play now?"

"No, but Bill's already clued me in on what you're like." I crossed my arms, "It'd save us both time if you just stop whatever it is you're thinking of."

"And what exactly am I thinking of?" He asked, looking me in the eyes.

"Charlie."

"Fine I'll leave," he said holding his hands up in surrender. "But make sure you call me if you need me to keep those pesky dragons away."

"I think I'll manage."

"Well I'm next door, just in case." He leaned against the door frame, watching me closely. "You know, Romanian winters are really cold. If you ever need to share body heat I'll be more than happy to help you out."

"I'm sure you would be," I said walking towards him. "But I think I'll just cast a warming charm instead."

"Well the offer's always open, whenever you're ready to accept it."

Rolling my eyes, I shoved him out of the room. "Goodnight Charlie."

"I like a hands on woman."

I slammed the door shut. "It's never going to work so you might as well just give up now."

Spending the first night away from home was always difficult. It didn't help that I could hear the dragons moving around outside. Letting out a sigh I turned over and closed my eyes, waiting for sleep to take over.

The next morning I woke up and rushed out of bed. I needed to catch Charlie before he left the cabin, to ask if I was allowed to see the dragons first hand today. By the time I was ready and downstairs I found Charlie lacing up his shoes.

"Charlie," I called out as I approached him.

He looked up at the sound of my voice, "Good morning love, what can I do for you?"

"I was wondering when I could see the dragons."

He stood to his full height. "You can't."

I felt my mouth open in shock, "I can't? What do you mean I can't?"

"Exactly that." He made to walk out of the cabin.

"Charlie." I caught his arm to halt him. "I don't think you understand - I'm here on ministry business, I need to see the dragons. And as the dragonologist -"

"Dragon tamer," he cut in halfway, "It sounds sexier than dragonologist."

"Like I was saying - as the dragon tamer that was made responsible for me, I need your permission to go and see the dragons."

"And I don't give you permission."

"Charlie." I let go of his arm, "I need to do this; I'm here for a year to work and to do that I need to see the dragons."

Looking away from me, Charlie walked into one of the other rooms and returned with a big book in his hands. Standing in front of me, he gave me the book.

"If you want to see the dragons then get studying. It's protocol." He gestured to the book, "Once you're done you can see the dragons."

"Once I've read this book? That's it?"