Science v. Media

“And the reporters are on their way. They should be here any minute now,” Julia continued, hands on hips and as unflustered as ever.

“Oh, why today? You know how I’m camera-shy,” Natasha groaned, hands quivering and as flustered as ever.  “Can’t I just stay out of sight?”

Julia raised her brow. “You can try but it’ll be pointless. They won’t stay in one place, they’ll want to look round the whole lab. There’s no need for shyness, they’re only here an hour every 3 months at most.” Seeing Natasha’s cold sweat dripping through the skin of her bistre forehead, she continued. “Listen, if you feel that bad I’ll keep them out of your way. I’ll do all the talking for you, when I can get away with it. Alright?”

“OK thanks,” Natasha panted. “That makes me feel much better.”

Julia just had enough time to crack a pitying smile when her pager bleeped. “They’re at the main entrance. Listen, they’ll be an hour at most, not long at all, then they’ll leave. Trust me, they like to get it done asap too.” As she adjusted her ponytailed dreadlocks, briskly brushed her cheeks with her fingertips and cricked her neck, she made her way to the large glass doors of the lab to greet the oncoming stampede of reporters and cameramen.

“Hello, nice to meet you. I’m…” she began.

“Julius Branning, A2Z News here for story on mutagens, let us in,” the man leading the stampede said, not noticing Julia’s outstretched hand. He was a lean man with silky glossy ebony hair and flushed pinkish-peach skin. From the speed and shrillness of his voice, Julia surmised he was a man who’d rarely if ever been said no to. Before she could even scowl he and his whole crew swarmed around her through the doors, lined up in front of the gel soap dispenser like a line of soldiers on parade, snatched some lab coats & safety goggles that had been strategically placed next to the dispenser, and thereafter grabbed their equipment and stood in a semi-circle still as statues, all within 1 minute. They were ready to film!

Unnoticed at the back of the lab amongst colleagues curious to see what the commotion was about, Natasha's eyes grew in fear and she promptly turned her face away.

One of the cameramen was just about to toss a microphone to Julius when Julia grabbed the cameraman’s hand. “Careful you fool! That might hit something, or someone!”

 “Not likely baby,” Julius snapped. “I have superb reflexes.”

Her green-brown eyes flung open in indignation at the callous disregard of basic health & safety procedures, which was especially ironic considering they’d been so quick to wash their hands, so she took the microphone and shoved it roughly into Julius’s hand. Evidently not taking the hint, he saw her face – for the first time, flashed a smile then leaned in close and whispered, “You have pretty eyes. You & me should go out some time. I’ve never dated a black girl with natural hair before but I’m sure I can do you the honours. First time for everything after all.”

In response she hissed, “Not if my life depended on it, and NEVER call me baby again.”

“Meh, I tried,” he said with a shrug of his shoulders. “Move aside, you’re blocking the cameras’ view.”

As she disdainfully returned to her work surface the crew were ready to film and Julius’ already shrill voice blasted through the last remnants of tranquillity. “This is Julius Branning reporting live at Novotoky Laboratory where the renowned mutagens were first developed. They’ve been touted as everything from a universal cure-all to the newest bio-weapon – but how much promise do they really hold? We’re now going to the original developers for further elucidation.” He turned around just in time to notice Julia’s annoyed headshake so he and his crew promptly weaved around her to find another expert to speak to.