O V E R V I E W

Maia Watney                              USA

EMPLOYEE ID: 4994-873M-0027-AR3

DOB: 03/20/2002

HOMETOWN: CHICAGO, IL

STATUS: ACTIVE

SELECTION: NASA GROUP 27, 2032

POSITION: CO-SYSOP

MISSION CDR: MELISSA LEWIS

SPECIALTIES: SYTEMS OPERATIONS
                      SYSTEMS ENGINEERING
                      MECHANICAL ENGINEERING

_____

Maia Watney acquired a love for technology at the early age of four. She graduated high school at the top of her class and then moved on to attend the Illinois Institute of Technology. There she would receive undergraduate degrees for computer and mechanical engineering.

Watney would then move on to attend graduate school at Northwestern University where she would pursue a degree in computer science. During her final year of attending, she would meet a visiting Hermes Flight Director, Mitch Henderson, who would become captivated with her work, along with her advanced intelligence and understanding of her particular field of study. He would then recruit her to assist future Ares crew member, Beth Johanssen, in the development of software that would become a fundamental aspect of the Hermes operating system. Her contribution to the project, as well as her developing friendship with Johanssen, would further encourage Watney's decision to join NASA.

Watney's dedication and passion for her work was not to go unrecognized by those at NASA. Her experience working with the Hermes, as well as her academic and professional accomplishments, was able to obtain her a position on the Ares III crew where she would join older brother, fellow astronaut, Mark Watney. Maia would serve as Co-System Operator, alongside Beth Johanssen, and System Engineer aboard the Hermes. Her skills and her knowledge would make her a beneficial part of the Ares Mission.

_____

Photograph of astronaut Maia Watney aboard the Hermes