Alternate Confession.

This how I originally planned to do it. Just something to thank your lucky stars for. This is not part of the story.

Nick struggles against his bonds. Muttering, he tries to twist his arms in front of him to examine the knots.

"What was that?" I think the mutters were directed at me. I'm trying to loosen the plastic zip ties from around my ankles. With this case, nobody's underestimating me.

Nick turns towards me, green eyes snapping with frustration and pain. The ropes must be cutting into him.
"I SAID I hadn't planned on telling you like this!" His temper is fraying, and he half shouts the words at me.

I don't think much of his outburst, and focus on loosening my bonds. "Tell me what?" He's probably been hustling again, and wants to confess.

He sighs, and relaxes. "Y'know, in my head, it was going to be on a beach, or after a case or something. Yet here we are, about to die."

I stop with my futile efforts, and stare at him. "What are you talking about?"

He stares at his feet. "When I first met you, I had no idea how important you would become to me. Blast it all! But it's too late. Savage came along. I shouldn't be telling you this. I'd hoped... never mind. Forget I said a word. You're good at that.' He spits the last words out bitterly, then reorganizes his red-furred face into tight concentration.

"Nick! What in the name of elephants toes are you talking about?! What were you hoping for? Your coffee?" For some reason, it's harder to breath and my heart's fluttering.

He chuckles, low and dark. What I would give to see his smirk again! But it seems to have abandoned him. I'd never thought I'd see the day when not even a shadow of a smirk wouldn't cross his face.

"I was kinda hoping you'd fall in love with me, Carrots."

What? "Nick, I..."

He holds up an unbound paw, and I'm too flabbergasted to realize the importance. "No, stop. You and Jack belong together. I'll get over it. I just hope you'll not forget me entirely while he's around. He does outshine me, you know. I wish you every happiness. Here, let me help you with that." He stands up, flashes me his rope free wrists.
He quickly cuts the plastic around his ankles with a claw, and busies himself with freeing me. I can't find any words, and he doesn't seem to expect any, so we both stay silent.

I can feel his sharp claws slice through the plastic and rope. He pulls me to my feet as the blood starts tingling uncomfortably back into my toes.

He smiles, sad and sweet and full of longing. "Let's go, Carrots. Your boyfriends waiting for us, and he doesn't like to be kept waiting."

~~•~~

I'd just made up my mind to storm in there, guns blazing, and rescue Judy and Nick, when a window opens, and she jumps out, with rope burns around her wrists, and a bruise on her left cheek. Besides that, she seems relatively unscathed. Nick jumps out behind her, but starts walking towards the barricade of officers instead of trailing Judy as he usually does. He has a large black eye, and walks stiffly.

"Jack." Her eyes, a deep purple the shade of violets, capture my pale blue ones.

I nod at her. "Judy. Are you okay?"

She nods, looking sad. "I'm better off than Nick. They beat him badly."

I hug her tightly, resting my head between her ears. "I'm sure he'll be fine."
Her ears droop back, and the adrenaline leaves her system, no longer needed. She slumps against me, and I shift position, taking on most of her weight as the day comes back to her in the firm of sore feet, and bad memories.