Chapter Two

Hope's POV:

After I got ready, I headed to the studio, being directed by some company girl named Abigail.

I made it to the studio, and started to stretch. I stretched my straddle, my right split, my left split, my shoulders and hips, and finally stretched out my back. I am handed a number to pin on myself, and it is the number 3.

I make my way to the barre when Tara comes through the doors. She spots me, and gives me a small smile.

"We will start you off with the barre." She says. She names off a few basic barre moves, and I've memorized the pattern within 10 seconds. She starts the ballet music, and we all start in unison.

"Next we will do leaping." Again she names off the leaps she would like us to demonstrate, and again I've memorized the pattern quite quickly. As I leap across the floor, a girl steps in front of me, making me fall on my ankle. "Ow," I whisper, barely audible.

"Sorry. Didn't see you there." She smirks.

"You okay Hope?" Tara asks me. "Yes. Fine." I lie. My ankle is killing me.

"You can restart your pattern."

I restart it, and with every jump, my ankle hurts more and more.

I finally finished the leaping section, and can barely walk. I'm sure it's just a twist. It will probably be better by tomorrow.

––––––

After a few more sections of dance, we are allowed to leave. It's about 5:00pm, so I'm  thinking I'll go and eat something.

As I'm making my way back to the academy dormitory, after eating, I hear my name being called. "Hope! Hope!"

I turn around to see Christian. I walk up to him slowly. "Hello Christian. How are you?" "Great. Tara and I would like to interest you in some dinner?" He asks.

"Thank you, but I've already eaten. Maybe another time!" I cheerfully say, while I continue to make it back to the dormitory.

When I'm in my room, Skye bursts through yelling, "come on! Come on! I've been picked and I'm picking you!"

Before I get to think, she pulls me outside our room, yanks me down the steps, and I'm outside the building.

"Come on! The third years are waiting!" "For what?" I question. "I'll explain when we get there." My ankle is about ready to fall off right now, but I'm not telling anyone that.

She leads me up this hill to a cliff, that is surrounded by water.

"Strip down. Now." The third years (I'm assuming they are) say.

"I don't think so." I protest. "Come on Hope!" Skye begs, taking off her clothes, leaving just her leotard on. "They only pick two. Me and you. Come on. It's totally safe. We just jump into the water! You'll be fine!"

Maybe it'll be fun. I strip down, leaving just my leotard, like Skye.

"On three. 1..."

"Are there rocks?"

"2..."

"Skye, are there rocks?"

"I don't know!" She answers. Someone from behind yells, "There aren't any rocks! You are taking too long! Bye!" And with those words, we are both pushed off, plummeting into the unknown, hearing faint, frantic screams of our names.