two - biscuits and creamer

Holy Ruby Rose, this story is nine reads away from 1k and I have two parts to it. I never imagined it doing this good and thank you all so much for the crazy support you show on this story. I know some may not really even read this, but really, thank you so damn much. I love writing, and it means the world to me to have people who enjoy what I do. I apologize for the lack of quick updates as well, I prefer to wait to make sure I include everything in each chapter that I like, so you guys will get the best read. But enough
of me ranting about this, here is chapter two, I hope you enjoy. x

The sun's harsh rays is what awakes me from a sleep which for once, was actually decent. My sigh echoed throughout my room and I push myself out of bed. The normal time 7:00 am, forty-five minutes before it's time to open shop.

My feet pad across the carpet to the bathroom, and the normal bathroom routine begins. At 7:35, I head down to the store to start getting ready, which is basically code for turning on the coffee machines and beginning to make a cup for my grandmother and I.

My phone lights up with a new message, and Ruby's, my best friends name appears on screen.

Hey Parks, after your day, we should go out. Movies and a side of takeout sound good?

I laugh, typing my small response of 'I'm in' and notice another message from a number I don't have listed, and remember I texted Calvin from yesterday.

That's me, Parker right?

I sigh, since it's almost eight in the morning and probably not the appropriate time to respond to a message to someone whom you've met a day ago. I place my phone under the counter and unlock the front doors to the shop. Now, my coffee filled day begins.

It's busy, as normal at eight in the morning, and in the almost middle of town. It's basically just cops coming in to grab a donut and coffee, or a few workers who need a kickstart for the day. Around ten it dies down, and I decide to respond to Calvin.

In the flesh and bones, my bad for the late response.

The minute I send the message, I look up when I hear someone clear their throat, and a phone beeps at the same time. It doesn't come from my phone, but the person standing in front of me.

"Why are you texting me when I'm standing right in front of you?"

I laugh, and actually get a full glance at the man standing in front of me, well, Calvin. His expression is soft, his eyes are a soft brown color that reminds me of melted chocolate. His hair is almost the same color, and swoops to the left side of his face, his skin is pale, and his lips-

"Uh hey, I'm a customer same as them, not an alien," he laughs, and I shake my head laughing with him.

"Shit I'm sorry, my thoughts are fogged. Shit, I'm not supposed to curse in front of a customer- oh my god I did it again."

His smile is only with lips, and a small deep laugh escapes him.

"Okay, Welcome to Barcely's, what would you like today?"

"Coffee, and however you made it yesterday, before you ask about creamer or milk."

A grin takes over my lips, and I pace over to the machine, filling the cup with coffee and mimicking my ingredients and steps from yesterday. When I turn back around he has taken a stool seat by the counter, and I notice he doesn't set his laptop up.

"No videos?" I question, placing the cup down in front of him.

"Nah, well yeah, I just wanted to stop in for coffee this morning, I had a few things I still have to do today."

By now, he's one of the only people left in the shop, and he sits right in front of me. I can't really help but lock eyes with him, not really his fault he's got a nice face.

"You stare a lot, take a picture if you want to remember me," he laughs and I shake my head. I had only been staring for a second, not anything to make it creepy. My hands move unconciously to the machine to start making a cup for myself, and I grab a biscuit.

"Want one?" I flash the biscuits towards him and his eyes squint.

"How much will be added to my bill?"

"Nothing more, it's on me."

Am I flirting? Or at least am I trying to? I feel like a fourth grader talking to her first crush.

"Then sure, why not."

I hand him the biscuit, and look at the small letter from Juliard that was still laying under the counter. Weird, guess my grandmother read it. I grabbed it and started ripping, and threw it right where the rest go.

"What was that?" Calvin questions and I shake my head.

"Another denial from the wonderful colleges in the area," his expression changes, and his head moves to the side.

"Denial? Who would deny a beautiful girl such as yourself?"

Heat rises to my cheeks but I brush it off, trying not to make it noticeable.

"Thank you, but that's not really what it's about with colleges."

He nods, a small laugh escapes him, "Of course I know that, I'm not that dumb. Is it a denial for the college itself or a scholarship?"

"Scholarship, I don't really have the money to pay a full tuition," my voice gets a bit quieter, since I'm not much of an open person, and that's personal to me. I turn my body back towards the kitchen, until a hand taps my shoulder.

"I don't expect you to open up to me, hell, I didn't expect you to tell me what you did. But if you ever need to talk, I'm a phone call away." He smiles, and then his expression changes, into a more joking one, "And right in front of you, but, ya know what I mean."

I turn back around, a sincere smile formed on my face for once in the past few months, "Thank you."

"Of course," he pushes the cup towards me, along with the pay and gives me a small wave, exiting through the shop and goes his own way.

A few hours pass, and I close up shop for the day. It's around five, and I change, telling my grandmother where I'm going, and head over to Ruby's house.

"Hey girl hey," her voice enters my ears when I walk into her apartment, and I lay my keys and wallet down on the couch.

"Hey, I've missed you," I respond, giving her a hug and she smiles.

"Same here. There's a stack of movies in the other room, pick one and I'll order the pizza."

Her accent sounds even thicker, like she had went back to Australia and lived there for a few years again. Out of the stack I find one of my favorites, 'Hit and Run' and plop onto her couch.

"Who's Calvin, Parker?" Ruby asks in a flirty tone, and she is reading something on my phone.

"Hey!" I laugh, grabbing the phone from her hands till I see the most recent message.

Tomorrow, Wendy's at one?