backstory

Four years prior.

Cold, dark and rainy. Most mornings in the UK consist of this. My boots plop quietly into the small puddles which form on the sidewalks down town, the bakery isn't much farther from here.

Usually, the light in front of the store would be on when I show up, but today was different. The building was cold and darkened, the only thing I could see was the faint glow coming from the back of the store. My feet moved themselves, but stopped quickly, jumping behind one of the booths when I heard voices.

"Yeah? and what are we going to do with the bodies? Mike?"

"Hell if I know Randall, back dumpster?"

I stand up, kicking the bucket for wet umbrellas in the front of my families store and it knocks over with a loud 'clang'.

Quickly running to the counter, I hide behind the register hoping it provides some sort of seclusion for me.

The men walk out of the room, and notice immediately what it was. Footsteps approach where I was, but my feet pace silently to the kitchen, hiding behind the middle island.

The smell was horrid, it reeked of blood. My hand was slippery, and when I brought it back down to my face, it was covered in red liquid. My clean hand covered my mouth from screaming, and I peeked over the small cooking counter to see what it was. My parents, lay covered in blood on the floor of the kitchen which we put so much work into it. They lay not moving nor breathing, the people that raised me until now. Sprinting over, I push my fingers to their neck to find a pulse: nothing. Grabbing my phone, I dial 999, and grab a cutting knife from the bakery and run out into the room where the men were.

'9-9-9 what's your emergency?'

Tears are streaming down my face, I'm sprinting around the main front of my bakery. "Help m-my parents were killed, the men, oh my god," My whispering stops.

My breath hitches. The men are still here, I don't think they heard me. They're staring out of the window and talking quietly to eachother.

'Okay miss how many are there? Help is on the way just stay calm.'

"T-there's two, they're still here, I-I don't know what to do!" I whisper, choking on the tears that threaten to fall.

The cops showed up, they tried to run and were caught. My parents were announced dead two hours later, 8:30 am. My life changed drastically. I was issued to live with my Grandmother in America, Boston to be exact.

I was 16, at the time.