Abreise

The urgency of the declare were provoking the buzz of disbelief and boosting my confusion at the highest peak as I slowly striped away from my cover behind the tree.

The ambiguous feet were slow or perhaps it was my old age, I couldn't tell for sure which one was hindering my progress to catch the sharpest sight of the dead.

But I was once again interrupted and blocked by the intensity of the scene as I recognized my neighbor in his 30's slowly walked to the front. In confusion, he probably could not procure a black suit in time. But the brown elbow patched coat didn't offer in closure to his saddened posture. According to my eyes, it looked as depressing as his distracted face.

In truth, it showed how he lacked in preparation for the apparent passing of mine, were adding to the glum.

I still fought against the belief I were to be deceased. The mind with his speculation wasn't far behind since the inside voice presented an assuring relay of imagination.

This was, hopefully, nothing more than a dream.

The thin barriers between a trance, a fearful wraith and the sharpest clunk of reality all mixed and muddled into a cocktail of confusion. Whatever this was and wherever I am now, is nothing but a display of a lucid anomaly. The dissection and the successful sprout of an explanation were second on the " To do list " as the clumsy trip stole the first spot.

I performed an insignificant fall. Like old men do. I knew what the scene would be like since in my youth and on the arrival of an upsetting view would crumple my heart as I trotted to help their exhausted body up.

It fails to draw up any eyes and arched concerned eye brows as the 5 heads hovering above the chair stay still. The neighbor in his middle years of life is unconscious about my sudden interaction as he faces me but restrains from providing any help.

" There's actually no..................... I don't think there isn't any way to say this. Like Father said, most of us didn't know him. "

The conjuring of his words and his missing attention to myself, the old pathetic fool who is currently dawdling on the grass, unintentionally breathing in the green.

What is this?

" I know him. Or I think I know him. "

The strangeness of my neighbor and the whole setting of the day creep me out with an instant shiver slithering down my spine.

" Even though we talked in fewer and special occasions. "

I stand on the fact that the nightmare has run its course and like an epidemic, can not be tolerated for a second more.

But the pinch on my skin as I reconstructed myself on my feet, declined to abort the chimera.

" I am not gonna lie. Most of us are not the beings to enjoy the company of someone's solitude. And I was afraid that my presence will.............. would annoy him more. "

The last straw had been thrown away long moments ago. But it is my old body which is haggling to stay straight and walk in a straight course.

If I'm not dreaming, I am the living and breathing Oswald Wood. And the counterfeit in the maple wooden coffin is nothing but a humorless coincidence.

" My wife always loved him. Even though they never met in our three years of living. "

On my recovery from my date with gravity, I managed to keep myself balanced, with the help of an empty seat. The Alabaster Girl is blending herself in among the long robes of the Sisters, but the foaming froth of her confused eyes and the tilted baffled head gave the summary of her emotions away.

" Mr. Wood has......... um had a lot of relatives. I should confess that I didn't mean to spy but I found the list of numbers of his peers near the old washing machine. "

" But unfortunately, most of them were.......... out of reach. At the moment. "

By the time, the friendly neighbor hid his momentary punch of grief with a loud grunting cough, I reached the side of the Coffin.

I was staring at the Carnival of a horror show.

The perception was similar to staring at my image in the mirror. But the element of imitation was missing. As I blinked my eye and let my jaw take a dive, but the Oswald Wood in the comfortable cushioned wooden box didn't care to act alike.

The crashed cheeks, the grey blotted ear lobes, the artificial existence of a corroded pair of lips and the scattered blobs of silver hairs. The face was all too well known.

The convoluted eulogy of the acquaintance didn't take long to fly away as it was the turn of the paramedic for presenting a few words. He blabbed something too, unnervingly and halted with embarrassment as he gifted me with some foolish compliments.

I sat down and leaned against the pine wood. I knew it to be pine as the distinct smell was floating around. The questions or perhaps the upset and crafted disappointment of being deceased flooded the gates of my bewildered mind.

Is this the afterlife?

It doesn't appear to be as the hereafter, even in the fantasied equation of a plausible Heaven and Hell existed and if I were unlucky enough to end up in the Devil's layer, the Inferno wouldn't have performed a cruel trick such as this.

The Sisters lingered and the Father's duty of advocating the diggers directed him away. I peaked back with a nonplussed face, blasted by the disappointment, the flummoxed glass eyes lobbed a weak peak over the Coffin latch.

There was no one there. The sob that began and stopped as it was addled about its place now committed to explode into pledged sorrow.

I could not capture the essence and the energy to declare which was worse. That my death halted my days and more depressingly on the first day of spring. Or the atrocious reputation that, I have failed as being a pathetic old man with no touch from the peer's occasional tears. The pitiful class of 5, which included the Sisters who was executing their duty; therefore they are excluded. The Alabaster Ivory was a stray loner who fell into the wrong circus.

Thus and how bleedingly heartbreaking it seemed, that my neighbor who's name had gotten adrift into the sloppy memory of an old hag like me, was the only one who was not tied by fate nor duty to make an appearance.

And was the only performer of a pure farewell.

I shouldn't reach Heaven if I was offered to. The humiliation of the number in my lousy funeral would prove too much of an obstacle to enjoy the blessings of immortality. It surely would become a curse.

The quiet pinched voice allured me to take another gander from behind the cover. The Ivory maned girl finally spoke and the words were to the Neighbor who was out of frame.

I didn't catch the manufactured word but the conversation lasted a simple number of minutes. It didn't end very simply, I really couldn't see as the keen eyes which were supposedly dead, examined her plastered face when he said those words.

" He killed himself. "

The gulping sound of her throat conquered the moment and the silent world was still in silence as she staggered to swallow the countersign.

There went another suicidal swing of the camera from her arm sling as she departed with profound footings and a disguised snicker of a sob. The Good Neighbor wasted a minute too. Possibly in the same struggle and went away.

I'm old, frail and creeping.

Departing and seeping out of the world.

Departing on the first day of Spring.