Chapter 7 - He scoffs. "Who doesn't?"

Tuesday

♥~*~ ♥~*~ ♥ ~*~♥~*~ ♥~*~ ♥

The next morning, we went to school together as planned. Everything was going fine. I completely forgot about having to face people after yesterday's drama until we were five minutes from school.

"Mike, I'm nervous", I say, chewing my lip.

"You're gonna be fine, babe. This is high school, not a jail full of serial killers", he says back laughing a bit. He puts his hand on my knee and squeezes it as reassurance. I just nod and start taking deep breaths. And, actually, when you think about it, high school is like a jail full of serial killers.

We pull up into Mike's assigned parking spot at the field house a few minutes later. There was only three minutes until the dismissal bell rang, then there would be five minutes until the tardy bell rang. I just wanted to wait in the car. I had zero interest of facing people. Mike, though, had a different idea. He opened up his door and hopped out of the car.

I watch him walk over to a group of four friends from football and do that man hug thing. He talked for a minute or two, then pointed at the car, then shrugged his shoulders. The bell rang just seconds later, and I exit the car. I don't make eye contact with anyone, or even look up from the ground, as I sling my bookbag onto my shoulders and walk over to Mike.

"Ready for a great day?", he asks with an overly sarcastic tone of voice.

"Wa-hoo", I monotonously say.

"Babe, the amount of pep you have is mind blowing. School spirit is just glowing off of you!", he retorts just as sarcastic. I laugh, feeling a little better. I told myself in the car ride here that I was just going to go to my class as quick as humanly possible. We, all as a big ole group, walk over to the main building. As we were walking,  Mike grabs my hand and interlocks our fingers, still conversing with his friends. Well, there goes my plan down the toilet.

We open the doors to the building like straight out of a movie. Everyone looks in our direction, their sentences trailing off. Mike doesn't even blink. I wonder if this is what he goes through everyday.

"What's your class?", he asks me.

"Trig", I respond. Trigonometry is all the way in the math wing. It shouldn't take us too long to get there, luckily. He nods and leads me, very slowly might I add, to the math wing. I hide behind him the whole way, trying to blend in. Nobody has said anything to me, but I think it's either because I'm a super good hider (not likely) or because Mike is with me. Most people say hey to Mike of give a high five, completely ignoring my presence.

I start to think that this won't be as bad as I thought it would. Maybe everyone thinks it's old news and is over all this. We come to a halt once we arrive into the wing. Nobody is walking around anymore, most students already in class.

"So, we'll meet here after class, okay? I have computer, so it might take me a minute or two to get here", he tells me with an excited smile on his face. I smile back and nod.

"Got it", I respond. He leans in and gives me a quick peck on the lips. I walk away, not looking back, to my class. We just got rearranged in here and now I sit next a really flirty guy. My friends thought he liked me even though he's dating a cheerleader. He always tries to make me laugh, tries to get on my nerves, and spreads his legs out under my chair in between my legs.Mike doesn't know about any of this, it'd really tick him off.

"Hey Janie", he responds looking up at me. I have to admit though, he is pretty cute. Blonde hair, blue eyes, tall, well built. Last year, he was a major faggot, but this year he's super nice.  He told me it was because of personal issues. He used to be a bad boy (because the personal issues and stuff) and now he's nice like I told you, but his reputation lives on.