Chapter 6 - Can she make it any more obvious she's talking about me?

Chapter 6 - Can she make it any more obvious she’s talking about me?

Monday

♥~*~ ♥~*~ ♥ ~*~♥~*~ ♥~*~ ♥

     My mom woke me up at six like every other weekday morning. Last night I took a shower and did my hair, so all I had to do was the basics (duh) and pack my lunch. My dentist appointment was at ten, but me and my mom were going out for breakfast then shopping for jeans at the mall.

     I know what you’re thinking now. A nerd goes shopping? And at the mall? And yes we do go shopping, we aren’t gonna wear shorts in the middle of winter. And where else do you go shopping? The zoo? Also I’m not really a nerd anymore, but I was in middle school and that’s when I first met a lot of people and that’s just how everyone remembers me and will forever view me.

     I had glasses and was in band. Super lame. I had braces too, but at my school it was normal to have braces. What I mean by that, is that so many people got braces it wasn’t really a sign of being a nerd. Obviously, I was really smart too. Always on honor roll and in Beta Club. I’ve never understood why people see that as nerdy because most of the popular girls are on honor roll and in Beta Club.

     My mom and I went to IHOP for breakfast and, you know, got breakfast. After we were done eating, we went to the mall and went to whole bunch of stores trying to find the perfect pairs of jeans and decided on three. Lastly, I went to the dentist. All they did was clean my teeth like usual then took a few pictures. The whole time I was thinking about how much I was dreading having to go back to school. I mean, my mom took the whole day off, why couldn’t I stay home? Man, I wish I did.

♥~*~ ♥~*~ ♥ ~*~♥~*~ ♥~*~ ♥

     I arrived at school just ten minutes after third block started. Today, I had science third block. I used to like it, but my teacher just separated me and my friends so now I don’t particularly look forward to it. I said bye to my mom, then made my way to class. I stopped by the restroom and checked my hair to stall. I really didn’t want to go to class. When you walk in everyone goes silent and it’s all awkward.

     Once in front of the door, I pulled on the door handle to find it locked, so I knocked. Mrs.Falcons answered the door. That awkward silence thing was happening. I handed her my bright yellow tardy slip and took my seat next to this annoying wannabe (that sounds way snobbier than I thought it would). She’s super nosy, always gossips, and brags about how she’s friends with a cheerleader. Whoopdi-freakin’-who.

    I usually don’t even acknowledge her presence, so she doesn’t either. Today, though, she was whispering to the girl next her, while staring at me. Can she make it any more obvious she’s talking about me? I just try my best to ignore her, but it’s really hard considering I really want to know why someone, that I’ve never had a real conversation with, is talking about me.

     We head to lunch an hour later, and I sit my friends Baileigh, Abby, and Michelle. I wait until Baileigh sits down from getting her lunch to tell them about that annoying wannabe girl. But I don’t get a chance to.

     “Janie! Why didn’t you tell us you were dating Mike Jenkins?!?!”, Baileigh yells as soon as she sits down. My eyes go wide and I start choking on my PB&J. “It’s all over the school. I heard it in the bathroom”.

     “Why is it such a big deal?”, I ask. I mean really isn’t.

     “Seriously, it’s Mike Jenkins. Everyone’s been saying y’all have been dating for a while now.  And people think that he was with you while he was dating Kaitlyn. I think that’s the biggest thing, so everyone thinks you’re a complete slut”, she informs me. I automatically understand her innuendo. 

      “Is that why Mike seems, like, super duper popular today with everyone trying to talk to him in the halls?”, Anna asks. Baileigh nods her head. Mike and I have the same lunch time, but today he and a group of friends went off campus, so I won't be able to talk to him until the end of the day. I hope people won’t do that do me in the halls. 

     “So, how much of it is true?”, Baileigh asks me. 

     “Well what have you heard?”, I retort. She tells me all this crazy stuff that people have told her throughout the day. The craziest one was that I was pregnant, which doesn’t even make a whole lot of sense. Like at all. She said that she has absolutely no idea who started it, she just heard a whole ton about it. Also, she thinks there’s more hype than normal because I’m a nobody and a complete nerd (see? even she thinks I’m still a nerd!). 

     We go back to class and we’re the last lunch class, so there’s only enough time to shut off the laptops we were using and pack up. Surprisingly, I was actually kinda nervous to go out into the halls. I didn’t think that anyone would talk to me, but I was really anxious ( A/N meaning experiencing worry, unease, or nervousness, typically about an imminent event or something with an uncertain outcome. Not wanting something a lot). Nobody knows, but I have social anxiety, so even just walking with big crowds of people makes me nervous. Adding all these rumors makes it ten times worse. 

     I popped out into the halls speed walking. I actually really needed to use the bathroom, but I just skipped it anyways. 

     “Hey Janie”, some guy said to me while wiggling his eyebrows. 

     “Jay-nie! How’s it going?”, said another moving his eyes from my feet to my head. That was the last I heard anyone say something to me before turning into the hallway containing my classroom. I drop my bookbag off then head to the bathroom. Usually by now everyone’s gone to their classes. There’s only about a minute left before the tardy bell. I walk into the bathroom and see three girls looking into the mirrors. Two stop in the middle of putting on lipstick and the other in the middle of brushing her hair. All staring dead at me.

      I just ignore them and go to the bathroom, and by the time I’m out they’re gone. I stand next to the paper towel dispenser pushing out some paper towels. Our school is stupid and put the dispensers right in the doorway (there actually isn’t even a door) so it’s awkward when a guy is getting paper towels too because you just awkwardly stand there drying your hands looking at each other. 

     That’s what’s happening to me right now. I decide to just face the wall to avoid the even more awkward eye contact. 

     “Janie?”, I hear the guy ask. I turn around recognizing the voice. 

     “Mike!”, I whisper yell.

     “Did you hear? Are you fine? Has anyone said anything mean to your face?”, he questions. 

     “Yep, yep, and no. We’ll talk more later, my eight minutes is almost up”,I tell him. The school has a rule that you can’t be in the bathroom for more than eight minutes. They know how long we’ve been in here because we have to sign in and out. 

     “Will you ride home with me? Please, baby? You won’t have to face all those people when you walk to the bus”, he asks me. He does have a good point… I nod my head. His face breaks out into a smile, which causes me to smile. “I’ll unlock my car on the way back to the field house, so all you have to do is hop in”. He looks both ways for teachers then pecks me on the lips and walks away. 

♥~*~ ♥~*~ ♥ ~*~♥~*~ ♥~*~ ♥

Evelyn here! nothing to say really… so bye now.

Read Count:  3

Total:  59