Chapter 22: Playing the Game

Start from the beginning

"You...I-I mean..." I stutter, suddenly feeling a lot more bashful about talking to him than I had been just thinking about it. He raised one eyebrow in confusion, obviously waiting for me to continue what I was saying. 

"It just seemed that lately you've been...a little distant." I mutter and his eyes widen in shock. "Distant?" he asks and I nod, looking away from his gaze. 

"I don't know if it was just me imagining things. But you've been missing classes, and even when you're there you aren't truly paying attention. I was...just wondering if there was anything wrong?" I ask, letting out a sigh as I finished getting through that. 

He stared at me for a moment before letting out a long sigh, shaking his head. "I guess nothing gets by you." he mutters and I swallow hard, looking at him expectantly as he puts a hand to his forehead. 

"I guess I'm just getting nervous. The end of the year is coming up and that means that I'll be having to face Dumbledore soon...and since I'm just playing a game with the Death Eaters now...I don't know how it's going to turn out." he mutters and my heart sinks. 

"I'm sorry. You know you could've come to me with this earlier." I whisper and he huffs. "I didn't exactly have the chance, since you've been so caught up in this whole prophecy thing." he grumbles and I frown.

"It's not my fault that this happened. You were just as concerned with it as I was a few days ago!" I say back and he rolls his eyes. "I honestly don't think that either of us are going to die. Besides, the only way we're going to die is if one of us kills the other, right? I don't see that happening anytime soon." he says and I let out a sigh, looking to the side.

He was right...but somewhere deep inside, there was a small hint of doubt within me. Draco loved his family...more than he did me. Wouldn't he choose them over me if he had to?

"You think it'll happen." he mutters and I shake my head. "No, that's not it. I'm just thinking about what we're going to do." I say and he doesn't look too convinced. 

"We can't keep worrying about it though. We should be more concerned about what you're about to go through." I say and he looks down at one of the objects in the room, picking it up and observing it. "There isn't much we can do, is there?" he whispers and I frown, my shoulders sagging at the thought. 

He was right about that too.

"Don't worry, Draco. It'll all work out, I promise." I say and he huffs. "Either way people are going to suffer and die. I don't think that classifies as 'working out'."  he hisses and I take in a deep breath, crossing my arms.

"But it's the only option you have, Draco! You can't just let yourself die or anything like that!" I say desperately and he gives me a small glare. "I know that Elena!! I know what's happening more so than you do!" he snaps at me and I clench my jaw together, keeping quiet because I didn't want this to escalate into a huge fight.

"I'm sorry. I know you do, I...I'm just concerned." I whisper and he lets out a sigh, putting a hand to his head again and shaking it softly. "I know you are...I just get so worked up thinking about it." he mutters before looking at me.

"I do have a question for you." he says, walking over to me and I raise an eyebrow, looking up at him as he stands less than a foot away from me. "What?" I ask, feeling his grey eyes piercing my own. 

"Do you really think I'll kill you? That I'm just playing the game with you too?" he asks and my eyes widen at his question. "W-what?" I stutter and he narrows his eyes. "You heard me. Do you think I might just snap one day and actually kill you?" he asks and I shake my head.

"No!" I say purposefully and he frowns. "Then why the reaction when I said it wouldn't happen?" he asks and I swallow hard. 

"It's just...I feel like if it was between me and your family..." I trail off sheepishly, my cheeks red from embarrassment and shame. "You would chose them." I finish before looking up at him, seeing him staring at me with mixed emotions. He took in a deep breath before taking another step closer, making me stumble back to keep him from stepping on me. 

He kept advancing on me and I fumbled backwards, feeling slightly afraid yet confused as to what he was doing. "D-Draco?" I ask before my back hits the wall and he comes up to me, putting one hand on the wall above my head, towering over me.

"I don't know what would make you think something like that." he murmurs, coming closer to my face until he was just inches apart, and I could feel his breath on my cheeks, making me shiver. 

"There's no separation, you idiot. I'm not playing any game with you." he mutters and I look into his eyes, seeing them staring into mine before they flick down to my lips, and I feel my heart rate increasing. "You're just the same as them, Elena." he murmurs and my eyes widen in shock as he brings his other hand to my jaw, gently stroking my cheek.

"You're my family too." he whispers before pulling me closer, his lips hitting mine.

Yes I know, horrible cliffhanger haha. But I do love me some cliffhangers and y'all have had them before so...yeah haha sorry!! I hope you guys like this chapter!! Please let me know what you guys think!