Chapter 5: An Interesting Theory

My head was pounding. I felt as if my brain was about to explode. It took a lot of effort to open up my eyes and when I did, I couldn't tell where I was. The room looked so unfamiliar to me and I tried to move but it made me hiss in pain. Slowly but painfully I sat up, not sure why putting pressure on my right hand was causing me so much pain. As I thought about what had happened, everything started to come flooding back into my memory. I was running from Draco when...I fell. But how did I end up here?

"Stop your squirming, Crowe." an annoyed voice said and I blinked a few times, looking for the voice and to my shock I saw Draco sitting at my bedside, scowling at me. "D-Draco? What are you doing here?" I ask but he doesn't give me an answer. Instead, Madam Pomfrey bustled beside me, something in her hands. "He's hardly left your side ever since he brought you in here, Elena. You gave us all quite a scare with your fall." she says and I look at him in shock. He brought me here?

"Don't look so surprised." he snaps and I just frown, not sure of what to say. "You got lucky, my dear. Only three broken bones and slight head damage. It's already been a day, but don't worry, they'll be fixed by tomorrow. Just keep drinking your pumpkin juice and leave the rest to me." Madam Pomfrey instructs and I nod to her, now realizing why my wrist was hurting: I must've broken it.

She excuses herself and I'm left alone with Draco, which is a little bit awkward for me, but I decide to use this opportunity to my advantage.

"I thought you hated Mudbloods. I thought you hated me." I say confused, looking up at him. "I do." he says immediately and I frown. "Then why didn't you just leave me there?" I ask and he lets out a sigh, hesitating for a moment before giving me a small glare. "Because I knew if I left you there I'd end up in trouble. You'd wake up and go squealing to the teachers and I'd be in a lot of trouble for leaving you lying around on the stairs. I don't want to waste a detention just for you." he says and I nod to him.

"Well...thank you anyways." I whisper and I see him look away, a faint blush on his cheeks. "Don't thank me. I did it because I had to, not because I wanted to." he snaps and a small smile comes to my face. "Even so, you still brought me here." I say and he scoffs before standing up.

"You're awake now, so I don't feel obliged to stay here any longer. Don't trip again, Crowe. I won't be there for you again." he says and I nod to him. My eyes widen and I go to say something to him but stop, realizing it was a foolish request. He noticed it and rolled his eyes, crossing his arms.

"If you have something to say then spit it out, Crowe." Malfoy grumbles and I give him a sheepish look. "Umm...would you mind picking up the work I missed in Transfiguration? I don't want to fall behind." I say in a quiet voice and Draco gives me a disbelieving look. "You want me to go fetch your work for you?" he asks and I look down, knowing that I shouldn't have asked him.

"I'm sorry. If you don't want to, you don't have to." I say and I hear him huff at me, making me look back up at him. "Fine. Just this one time, Crowe. Just because I feel sorry by how pathetic you look in your hospital bed. But I'm not a delivery boy, so don't even think about trying to make this a habit." he says and a smile finds its way to my face. "I wouldn't dream of it." I say and I see a small smile come to his face before he quickly turns around and walks out of the hospital wing.

After he left I couldn't help but feel confused. One minute he's degrading me and the next he's getting my work for me? Maybe I should get hurt more often, it'd get him to be nicer to me for a change. But feeling the pain in my body made me scratch that plan out quickly. I didn't want to be in this much physical pain just to get someone to stop causing me mental pain.

I liked the little peace we just had. I wasn't sure if it was going to last, but it was much nicer than him always degrading me and making me fight him back. It's only been the first week at school and I've cried three times; and all of them were because of Draco Malfoy.