Chapter 1 :: We Are The Survivors

A/N: my art don't steal
Hawkpaw batted at MaplePaw's brown tail as it moved in the slightest inch.

Everyone was asleep in the camp, except for Hawkpaw. The olive-colored tom had awoken in the night from a vivid nightmare and refused to sleep.

His eyes glowed in the dark, as some say. And in this case that was true. It was maybe 4 or 5 hours until sunrise. HawkPaw felt as though he would die of boredom before that.

So what does a 6 moon old kit do in this situation?

Go outside.

Hawkpaw lifted himself off the thick tree-branch him and Maplepaw shared and he slowly went down the tree, his small claws gripping onto the dark wood.

The farther down the large oak he went, the colder he became. This was the tundra forest after all.

The olive tom quickly ran through the forest to the clan gathering spot

The olive tom quickly ran through the forest to the clan gathering spot. There was a large rock in the middle of a grassy field surrounded by daisys.

Hawkpaw gives the air a quick sniff, the putrid stench of fox dung made his nose wrinkle as he thrashes his head.

A small clump of Tansy sits idly beside a small oak sapling. It smelled strong and Brownpaw had told him BerryFox said it tastes sweet.

The small apprentice padded over to the clump and quickly nibbled off a leaf. It was sweet!

Brownpaw also said BerryFox told her not to eat to much or it makes you sick.

Hawkpaw quickly ate about half the small plant before guilt racked his brain. What if another cat needed this and I just ate it? Hawkpaw slowly backed away from the sweet plant and ran back into camp.

The darkness fell over the forest like a thick blanket, making it hard for Hawkpaw to see everything in the immediate area.

A small rustle in the bushes made Hawkpaw stop in his tracks. The cold air blew through his olive fur, causing him to shiver.

"Who's there?" HawkPaw crouches down, ready to strike at the unidentified figure.

A small white with brown striped she-cat pounced onto Hawkpaw, putting their paw with sheathed claws on his head, causing him to stay still.

"Ready to di-" Hawkpaw raked his unsheathed claws across the she-cat's stomach, causing her to fall back and yowl in pain.

"It's me, MaplePaw!" The she-cat yowls and looks at her now bleeding stomach. "M-Maplepaw?" Hawkpaw Springs to his paws and his tail drops.

"We have to get to Berryfox!" Maplepaw bounds in camp as the first rays of light beamed across the cold tundra.

Just as BerryFox climbs out of her den to begin to scavenge for her herbs, Maplepaw and Hawkpaw run into her.