I watched as the mother circled the tree and then landed to examine her child. After being satisfied that I did not harm or damage it, she snuggled up to her baby and produced the food for it.

A twig snapped relatively close to me. I twirled around to see a large auburn wolf staring at me with intense green eyes. They don't have green eyes. I knew immediately that this was Mike. I wanted to make contact with him, but I wasn't sure if this was the best idea. I stepped closer to him and he stepped back.

“Fine, I'll keep my distance,” I grumbled at him. I felt hurt, but there was no need to share it with him.

He nodded his scruffy head at me; then gestured toward the nest.

“What? I don't know how it happened. All I know is that I helped it.” I was defensive.

His head turned to the side as though he was confused.

“Just because you believe what they told you, it doesn't mean it's true. I'm no different than before. I thought that you would be the one to fight as hard as I did, but I was wrong.” Pain colored my words; I turned my head to quickly wipe away the tear.

Mike put his head down.

“Whatever. I don't even know what I'm doing talking to you.” My emotions were flooding through me and I wanted to scream, to run and escape the pain.

His hot head was touching my hand, and that was all I needed to know everything. He was loyal to his people and he had to take care of them. He wished we were still friends but would never admit it because he did still love me. I was overwhelmed with thoughts and memories.

I pulled my hand back as though it was burned, but the thoughts were still there. They teased me as they settled in for later examination.

His brows pulled together.

I opened my mouth to say something, but what could I say? I knew everything. Instead, I reached out and patted him on the head … and then I ran.

I ran as fast as my feet would carry me. I heard him try to follow, but I moved faster and wasn't hindered by lack of knowledge of these woods.

I ran to the mines. The darkness swallowed me whole. I slid down the side behind the elevator and crawled down the shaft. If he really wanted to find me, he would have to locate my scent. The problem was that my smell was on everything outside and in at this place and many like it in the area. I doubted he could find me.

When I got to the bottom, I walked straight toward my room of sparkles. I wanted to see my 'vampire star' and to remember a time that was less confusing. I could smell that someone or something had been in here but had long left. I wondered who would come to such a spooky place if they were normal. Normal? What's that?

My bitter side was present when I finally found my room. The darkness never scared me here and the small light that found its way inside was a miracle. But it hit the right spot and the glittery crystals lit up the wall. Then I was fine.

I remembered my date with Mike and his discomfort at this place and I compared it to my adventure with Dominic in Italy. Both memories told me so much; Dom and I were similar creatures both in species and in preference, whereas Mike and I either grew apart in two weeks, or were really that different from the beginning and neither one of us saw it.

A tear rolled down my cheek as I realized how wrong we were about our dream and our connection. All four of us were connected for some strange reason- a reason I hoped was not the prophecy as I did not want either Mike or me to die. I tried to think about it some more but I was bombarded with images from Mike's brain. I knew everything in his mind, and I was able to recall the information if I wanted to. The question was; did I really want to know?