Chapter 6

Short note: In this story, becoming rogue is a choice a wolf can make. It's more like a lone wolf situation when chosen. While painful for a pack-created creature, it is bearable for the strong ones. Being kicked out of a pack unwillingly is when the insanity occurs.

^^^^^^^^^^

The same mind-numbing scent from the night before hits me, easily overpowering the faint trace of Freya and Samuel's scents. I'm not certain, but it smells like the rogue scent is less prominent than it was yesterday.

Everything looks as I last remember it, except for the man in the bed that is.

I was prepared for an unconscious form, so when I instantly attract bright blue eyes, I'm rendered immobile from my position a few feet away from the bed.

I was initially worried about an insane devil wolf who wanted to cause chaos in the pack. But looking at him now, I realize I was very, very wrong.

This is no devil, he's an absolute angel.

Literally.

His skin, dirty and bloodied last night, now glows a healthy sun-kissed color that would make any Beverly Hills mom jealous.

His once matted and greasy hair is clean now, and his blonde curls resemble golden coins. The thick, luscious appearance makes my fingers itch to touch them.

He's sitting up now, as opposed to laying down last night, and his upright position gives me the perfect view of his glorious form.

This is my mate. This is my mate. This is my mate.

"So you're the angel that visited me last night," his deep, smooth voice says. His eyes sparkle as he continues to observe me.

In my shock, I can't form a proper sentence, but I do curse Freya in the back of my mind for lying. I should've expected it, really. I didn't even consider what would happen when we were actually face to (conscious) face.

Sensing my lack of thought process, he lets out a beautiful, full laugh, bright white teeth flashing in the fading sunlight.

If I thought my brain had turned to mush before, I didn't know anything.

I slowly become aware of the annoying heart monitor beeping chaotically next to him.

"I hate this thing," he muttered lowly, moving to rip it's lines from his chest.

While my normal brain isn't working, apparently my doctor brain is.

"Stop! You shouldn't touch that!" I scold, rushing forward to halt his hands.

As soon as our skin makes contact, we both sigh blissfully. The moment is ruined, however, when the heart monitor kicks up speed, threatening to alert the whole hospital of what's happening.

It cuts off abruptly and I open my eyes (which I don't remember closing, yet again) to see the cords hanging from his right hand. Blushing, I begin to move my hand away from his, when he drops them and seizes my palm between his warm, sturdy hands.

"Stop," he says softly, his voice deeper than before. It's not a command, or even a plea, it's just...a word. "You have no idea how much I've yearned for your touch today. I thought I was going to have to get out of this bed and find you myself." He admits with a slight tease at the end.

His confession makes my heart leap in my chest. I'm sure if I had a heart monitor connected to me, it would be off the charts right now.

His calming, blue orbs stare intensely into my own, searching them.

"Freya told me you were asleep," I reply dumbly, wanting to say something. I mentally face palm myself at my idiotic response. I seem to be full of them these days.

He chuckles, causing a small smile to form on my face.

"Yes, well we both know how mischievous the little phoenix can be," he says with a smile, and the amusement in his voice leads me to believe that he knows her well.

"You are more beautiful than I ever could have dreamed," he states, baby blues full of wonder. The intensity of his compliment causes me to turn away self-consciously. He removes one hand from mine and reaches up to caress my face, turning me back towards him. Unconsciously, I close my eyes at the feeling, leaning into his touch. Aware or unaware, he guides my face closer, and our eyes lock.

At this moment, it is just he and I.

It doesn't matter who we are, or what we were doing before now. Because right here, right now, I'm gazing into the eyes of my future, and Goddess is it bright. Gone now are all of my doubts about him. It could just be the mate bond speaking, but I trust him. And I would follow him through Hell and back.

"I've been looking for you for so long," he whispers, our close contact making it more intimate. "I never thought I would find you, but Goddess I would die trying."

In my haze-filled brain, something clicks. So that's why he was rogue. I almost feel bad knowing he was pack-less and vulnerable because of me. Then again, if he hadn't have left his pack, we may have never met.

"I can't believe this. I can't believe you're here." I murmur. It feels as though I'm dreaming and will wake up, all of this a figment of my imagination.

"Believe it, baby. I'm here. And I'm here to stay."

And with that, he closes the distance between us.

The kiss. I don't even know what to say about that kiss. It was fiery, it was passionate, it was straight out of a romance movie.

His smooth, soft lips lovingly caressed my own and ignited something within me I've never felt before. And when we pulled away, something clicked within me. His eyes held pure, unfiltered adoration and I knew.

I knew that I would spend forever with this man by my side.

And I am more than okay with it.