[03]

The grill
Dani was seated at the bar with a drink in her hand. She curiously looked around hoping to see something that spiked her interest, but was soon distracted when she noticed someone sitting down on the stool next to her.

"Hey, are you new to town?" The stranger asked

"Yeah. I'm Danielle." She said with a smile while holding her hand out to him.

"Alaric. Saltzman."

"Nice to meet you." Danielle said to him with a smile.

"So, where are you from?" Alaric asked.

"I lived in Miami for most of my life." The
girl answered him in a matter-of-factly tone, the corners of her lips turned up a bit.

"Miami? I heard it's really nice there, especially during the summer."

"If you like sweating and alligators, I guess it's okay." Danielle joked, earning a chuckle from Alaric.

"Not a big fan of warm weather?" Alaric laughed.

"It literally gives me migraines." Danielle said as she wrinkled up her nose, making Alaric laugh a bit.

"Oh, it's the devils spawn!" Someone exclaimed from behind the pair, taking a seat next to Alaric.

"Douche bag Salvawhore. How nice to see you." Danielle said to the man with a sarcastic smile.

"You two know each other?" Alaric asked with a confused look on his face.

"Yeah. He's an asshole."

"She's Klaus's charity case."

"Gee, thanks."

"Wait, hold on, what?" Alaric said, looking even more confused.

"Klaus practically adopted her." Damon cleared out for him.

"Great. I come to this town and immediately I'm known for nothing but Klaus' little puppy." Danielle sighted.

"Not puppy, more a little kitten." Damon retorted.

"In that case, you'd better watch yourself. I might just scratch out your eyes." The tiny girl winked at him and walked out of the bar.

~

"I need friends." Dani said as she plopped down next to her father on the sofa of her home. "Wow... That sounded desperate."

"Friends are overrated. Get some good enemies. Much more fun." Klaus said, not looking up from the sketchpad he was drawing in.

"I'm actually starting to consider that. But this town is filled with supernatural creatures and as a human, I don't stand a single chance." She replied, staring up to the ceiling in boredom.

"It's not too hard to whittle a few stakes." He stated absent minded.

"I suppose." She sighted "What are you drawing?" The girl curiously looked at her father who drew on the paper, watching his every move with concentration.

He raised his eyebrows and looked at her over his sketchpad pad for a moment before turning his full attention back to the drawing. "Nothing."