Chapter Twenty-Two

Marilyn’s POV

 “Mom! When did you get home?” Fuck, I forgot about my parents.

“Just now, with your father.  What’s this nonsense about you being pregnant?”

“I can’t talk right now” I said pushing past her into my room.

“Where do  you think you’re going?”

“Long story short mom, I’ve been dating this guy Zayn Malik from One Direction. I love him. He’s in the hospital right now, he’s in a coma. Doctors said it’s not looking good for him. His band members bought me a plane ticket for me to go be with him right now. My plane leaves at 11 tonight & I’m going. I don’t care what you say.”

“No you’re not!”

“Yes I am! You can’t stop me!” I told her throwing the rest of my stuff into my suitcase & stuffing my laptop, phone charger, iPod charger, & iPod  & headphones into a backpack.

“If you leave this house don’t plan on coming back.” She told me.

“Won’t matter. You guys are never home anyway. You won’t know if I’m back or not.”

“We’ll change the locks.”

“Go ahead. Technically, I’ve been on my own for a while.” I told her shoving past her.  

My father just stood there in shock.

“Bye dad. Thanks for your help. Love you too right?”

I walked out the house, slamming the door. I stood there for a little while. I didn’t have a home to come back to if Zayn… No. He wouldn’t die. He’d pull through. He couldn’t leave me now.

I grabbed a taxi & held the printout of the ticket I had printed out before my parents got home tightly in my hand.

“Newark airport”n I told the taxi driver.

I pulled my phone out of my backpack & called Amy.

“Hey Marilyn.”

“Hey Amy.”

“What’s wrong? Why do you sound like that?”

Guess my attempt at sounding okay wasn’t doing all that great.

“Listen, I can’t really tell you the whole story right now but I’m in a cab, on my way to the airport. Zayn’s in the hospital. The guys got me a ticket to go see him.” I tried to explain to her.

“What? Oh my god. Is he okay?”

“He’s in a coma. The doctors said that it doesn’t look too good for him. I have to go Amy.” I said, starting to cry.

“Wow. I’m speechless, I hope he’s okay. Just call me when you land okay.”

“I will” I said as I hung up the phone.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turns out the boys were in London.  Niall told me there would be a car waiting for me outside the gate when I landed so  I collected my bags & walked outside to wait. I didn’t see a car with my name on it. I started to freak out. Maybe he  was just late so I decided to call Amy to tell her I landed. When I got off the phone with her I saw the car with a man dressed in a suit standing by the passengers door holding a sign with my name on it. I walked up to him.

“Marilyn?” he asked.

“That’s me” I said, forcing a smile.

I saw myself in the reflection of the car window. I looked horrible, not that I really cared right now. My eyes were pink & puffy, my makeup had run down my cheeks, half my hair was out of the pony tail I put it in, & my clothes were all wrinkled. Anyone who saw me could tell I had been crying. Anyone who saw me could also tell something was very wrong. You could see it on the expression on my face. My eyes looked sad, they looked…dead. If Zayn didn’t make it I would have this look in my eye for the rest of my life, I knew it. If he died, my soul would die with him.

The chauffer opened the car door for me & I got in. He went around back put my suitcase into the trunk & jogged to his seat.

“Where to he asked me?”

I showed him the address on my phone. He nodded his head & immediately started driving.

He didn’t try to make small talk with me; he just drove as if I wasn’t in his back seat. I was thankful for that. I didn’t feel like talking to anyone right now. When we arrived to the hospital the driver told me he had been instructed to take my bags to a hotel. I nodded & grabbed my backpack from the backseat & told him thank you.

I walked inside the hospital. It was huge. Everything inside was all white & as soon as I walked in  the smell of Clorox & Lysol hit me. I walked up to a big desk in the dead center of the hallway.  There were three ladies sitting at the desk when I walked up not one of them looked up.  One was too busy on the phone, the other focused on her filing her nails, & the last one texting away.

“Hello.” I said annoyed.

“Hi. What can I do for you today?” the one filing her nails said without looking up.  Her accent would have been adorable if she hadn’t had been so rude & I wasn’t worried about Zayn.

“I’m here to see Zayn Malik.”

“I’m sure. “She said sarcastically. “Are you family?”

“No.  I’m his girlfriend.” I answered back,.

She looked me up & down. “Like we haven’t heard that one before.” She snickered, the other two joined in.

I snapped. I grabbed her by her collar. “Listen here you little bitch. That’s my boy I love with all my heart is somewhere in this hospital in a fucking coma. If you don’t tell me what room he’s in you’re going to be the one in the coma & if you think that I won’t let me tell you something Barbie i….”

Somewhere in my meltdown Niall had come into the lobby, saw me, & he pulled me away from her.

“She’s with me” He told them & guided me down the hall. “You okay?” He asked me.

“Do I look okay Niall? I look like the bride of Frankenstein & my boyfriend is in a coma! Do you think I’m okay?!” 

He looked at me bewildered.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to go off on you. I just… I’m so scared” I started crying.

He hugged me. “We all are. C’mon let’s go see Zayn.”