Chapter Twenty-Nine: He Doesn't Get It

Start from the beginning

When I was about to go out of my room, Lucas called me out, “Hey Celeste.”

“What?”

“Tell Everett we’re all here for him, whatever he’s going through.”

I looked around my room and saw the encouraging smiles my friends gave. You could say that I was extremely lucky to have. I returned their smiles with one of my own, “Thanks.”

“Go, we’ll take care of this angel,” Annabelle said, referring to Savannah.

I nodded and raced out of the door. I went inside the kitchen where Jazzy was waiting for my parents’ orders.

“Jazzy, there’s a sleeping girl in my room. That’s Drew’s sister and I’m asking you a favor to look after her,” I told her. Well, I could have phrased it properly but right now, I could hardly care.

She looked like she was asking what happened but maybe it was the look in my eyes that made her drop her question.

“Sure,” she responded, trying to sound chirpy.

I thanked her before heading to the elevator, effectively avoiding the adults.

I did my absolute best to make sure I didn’t go over the speed limit. My foot was so tempted to add extra pressure on the pedal that would make me go speeding to my destination.

When I was at the hospital, I didn’t even bother to wait for Drew. I went to the receptionist and asked for Ariel Everett. She politely gave me her room number before turning her attention back to the phone pressed on her ear.

I found myself in front of the white door with the number 205 placed on it. I lifted my fist to make three soft knocks and when I heard a faint, “Come in,” I pushed the door open.

Drew was sat on the chair next to the bed. On the said bed was Ariel, he hair was sprawled out on her pillow, her eyes we closed with her mouth pressed into a thin line. Her foot was hanging on a cast and the side of her head was wrapped with a bandage.

I stepped inside the room and closed the door behind me. I approached the bed, my eyes never leaving Ariel.

“She got into a car accident,” Drew whispeyred from my side. I then realized that he stood up from his seat and took his place next to mine.

“It’s going to be alright,” I tried to reassured, finally tearing my eye from the matriarch of the Everett family and facing Drew.

“I hope,” he sounded so broken. His mother was now lying on a hospital bed, his father was in jail – perhaps unaware of his wife’s condition – and he still has to take care of his little sister.

“I’m still worried,” he said, “The bill’s going to be expensive.”

I pursed my lips together and breathed through my nose. I looked around until my eyes landed back on Ariel, taking her resting form; I spoke to Drew, “Have you eaten yet?”

I saw him shake his head from the corner of my eye then I reached out to grab his hand, “Let’s go to the canteen.”

“But…” he trailed off, looking at his mother.

“You need to eat,” I urged, tugging him to the door, “We’ll back as soon as we got some food into your system.”

“You’re not giving up, are you?”

“You know me better than I expected,” I slightly teased, finally pulling him out of the room.

We found ourselves sitting at a round table while my hands were wrapped a foam cup of coffee and Drew chewing on his sandwich.