Chapter 22

A Few Years Later

As Joel was bathing 6 year old Jessica he felt a bump on her leg. He felt it and he realized it wasn't just a knot, it was cancer. He waited till morning to take her in, but the next morning she had a fever, she was vomiting all over herself, and she was as pale as a ghost. As soon as he saw her he immediately got her to the hospital. He couldn't go through this again. He couldn't lose the last person in his family. As he ran in there Jessica was confused as to what was happening. She asked questions but got no answers. "It's going to be all right sweetie daddy's going to be right outside. These nice people are going to make you feel all better. I'll see you very soon." Joel said as the doctors and nurses rush her into the room.
A few hours later after tests and stuff we done being performed one of the doctors come out and talk to Joel. Him and Joel were great friends. He walks out with a tear rolling down his face as if there was bad news. "Joel can I talk to you?" Joel nods, "Jessica has a cancerous tumor in her leg. Now this tumor can be surgically removed, which is good, but she'll have to stay a week or two to recover." Joel nods and is thankful it can be removed. "Thanks Frank. I'm so happy that it can be removed I can't lose anyone else, especially my daughter. She's my world." Joel said as he wiped the tears from his face. "You're welcome Joel. I know how you feel and hey if you need me I'm a phone call away. Also I'll talk to the boss to see if you can get off work with pay." He said sympathetically. "Thanks man I owe you."

As Joel walked in the room he saw little Jessica laying there exhausted from all the tests they did. She was so exhausted she could barely stay awake. He hated seeing her that way. His baby lying the helpless. "Hey turkey how you feeling." He said trying not to cry. "I'm really tired and I feel sick and it really hurts dady." She said with her weak voice. "I know it hurts baby but tomorrow they are going to get rid of that lump so it won't hurt anymore. They are going to make you feel all better. And they took those tests to make sure you were ok." He tried his hardest not to break down crying. "Ok daddy. I love you lots. Goodnight." She said as she closed her eyes. "Goodnight turkey I love you more." He said as he kissed her forehead. He slept by her side all night, not leaving her side.