Chapter 23: What Not To Wear

Start from the beginning

“You mean to tell me this was the dress you walked down the aisle in?” I asked, suppressing my disgust. 

“Uh huh!”  She ran her hand down the fabric.  “So what do you think of it?” 

You see—I wasn’t the kind of person who lied to make others feel good.  I wasn’t the type that stretched the truth enough to use reverse psychology.

I told the truth.  The absolute truth. 

“It’s terrible, mom.” 

Her eyes widened and she glanced at the dress again.  “Really?  My guests were saying, ‘Rocking that outfit, Mia!’ or ‘Look’n good,’ and ‘You’re killing that dress!’

I patted her shoulder.  “Mom, the last one wasn’t a compliment.”  

She remained silent, and kept staring.  Her bottom lip quivered.  “Y-you really think so?” 

“It’s okay.  Perhaps you were drunk when choosing your dress.”  I tilted my head.  “And maybe at the wedding too.” 

She only nodded, her eyes glistening a misty layer.  I sighed.  “Oh, mom.”  Rubbing her back, I had a sudden fear of my mother crying and was instantly struck by worry.  “Wait—I have an idea.”      

“Uh oh,” Driz said, a hot flash of worry crossing her face.  “Ly-a has an idea.  We’re doomed.” 

I punched her arm and she just laughed.  “Not this time, my friend!  This idea is brilliant I’m telling you!  Brilliant!” 

Ordering her to fetch the sewing kit from the closet, the fabric bin, and the art box, we soon got to work.  My mom too emotional (I swear she was already in menopause...), she had left the room to her Saturday retreat. 

On normal terms, Saturday retreat = alcohol cabinet.

Making the first few cuts, Driz was staring at my concentrated position as she was picking out the correct fabrics. 

“You look like you’re gonna take a shit.” 

Snip! “Shut up.  I’m working.” 

Snip! Snip! Snip!

“Constipated much?”

“Stop.”  Snip! Snip!

“Why do you stick your tongue out?” 

“Fuck off.”  Snip!

“Does the air taste good?” 

I dropped the dress and pointed the dangerous blades to her eyes.  “Do you want to feel my wrath?!”