Homefront '41

Miss Evelyn Flynn

13 Smith Street

Woollongong, New South Wales

February 17th, 1941

Dear Miss Flynn,

I have never been a good correspondent and, as camp life is not conducive to the work of even the most enthusiastic letter writers, you can imagine its effect on me. So although you have often been written to mentally, your letters from me have never become tangible objects. But I have been on the point of writing many times and have often felt that I had many things to say and experiences to record. 

Your letter yesterday from such an unexpected quarter, however, proved to be the spark which set my pen to run. I am glad for your sake and your sister’s that the evacuation took you to Wollongong. It is a spot both readily defensible and also sufficiently countrified to appeal to you, and the climate is excellent. As you remarked, it is a beautiful locality in which, I think, the colour contrasts are remarkable. The colours on that section of the coast are more intense than any I have seen. The view from Kembla lookout near evening on a Summer’s day is breathtaking -- the graceful slope of Kiera, the deeper and brighter green of the foothills merging finally with the glittering blue expanse of ocean and the lovely curve of the five islands.

What news of the infestation in your area? It bothers me terribly to think of you in peril, however I am sure you will be well settled in by now with your numerous and varied possessions around you. Are you near the beach and have you an ocean view? I should hate to live within earshot of the sea and not be able to observe it in its diverse moods and aspects. I trust the containment fences are holding.         

Camp here in Ingleburn is almost over now -- only three more weeks -- and I think I shall be rather loathe to leave it in spite of numerous faults and petty irritations. Companionship in army life is much more real and vital than it ever is in civilian life. The army breaks down all class distinction and prejudice and rids University students of that annoying air of smugness and self-complacency and makes then almost normal human beings even if it is childish ones.

Dad is in Sydney for a few days and came to see me for a few hours on Sunday. He is looking better but is still full of complaints, including a lingering fever and a corpse-like pallor. I imagine he will find the homestead of Bomboyne rather lonely after having the farmhands flee in terror.

I haven’t had much time for reading in camp but have finished several interesting Penguin paperbacks which I will pass on to you on our next meeting.

Stay safe.

Regards, Tom