Chapter Seven

I went back to my room without a word to another contestant or a glance up from the floor, I couldn't keep looking at the other girls' faces and their laser eyes burning my skull. Even if I wasn't looking at them I could still feel them all judging and staring at me. Sara could tell something was wrong because she kept giving me these little sympathy looks which made me wanna hide under a rock and never crawl out. 

My maids even sensed that I was a bit off. Megan immediately suggested to make me more tea while Brooke ran my bath water and Jessica informed me that a guard brought a chair and put it out on the patio. I thanked them all and they curtsied in reply.

"You guys can just go to your rooms for the night, I'll be fine." I tell them.

"Of course, Sydney. But uh, one of us is supposed to stay here during the night to make sure you don't need anything." Megan says handing me a cup of fresh tea. The water stops running as I stare at the glass chine cup in my hand.

"That's okay. If I need you I'll ring for you, it's that button over there right?" I nod towards the green button near the bedside table.

"I don't know if we're allowed t-" She starts.

"Please, go to your rooms." I state calmly as I stand up straighter but they still waver. "I'm making that an order, now please. I'll be perfectly fine, okay?" 

"Yes, Sydney. Of course." Megan waves to the two others, and they all curtsy then one-by-one all three leave and I'm finally alone to think for myself.

 A sigh of relief escapes my lips and I immediately slip out of the dress I'm in and kick off my shoes towards a corner. How did I get myself into this? Dresses? Heels? Make-up!? Ugh, I hate all of this. . . and I haven't even met one person from the royal family. Except that small glance in the hallway from Prince Jackson.

I shake my head of all things Selection related and take off the rest of my clothes before testing the warmth of my bath water. Perfect, I think to myself as a smile creeps onto my face. I slowly step in and lay down with another sigh, I close my eyes. I slip myself under the water and hold my breath as I run my fingers through my hair before coming back up but keeping my eyes closed to somehow hold the peace and quiet right where it is.

After I finish cleaning my hair and body I dry off with the softest towel I've ever felt, the ones we have at home all have holes and fringe on all sides. I find a light purple, silky, night gown in the closet and pull it over my head before I find some comfortable socks and put them on too. Then I walk towards the patio door, as soon as the small breeze of wind hits me I smile. The chair they brought me is made out of dark colored woods and the top is rounded, its sanded off with a nice finish, and the cushion had to be sewn by a professional. The cushion is extremely soft and its a lime green color.

I sit down in the chair and prop my arms on the armrests, taking a big breath in of the fresh air while my eyes close. They open again and I look over the view. In the very far distance I see maybe a city, maybe the airport, I just see lights. I see a lot of trees, tall, forest like. And directly below me is the garden, I can hear the slight rush of water from the fountain. 

But mostly I see the moon. The moon is full in the navy blue, white-speckled, sky. No matter how far apart, wherever we are, we all see the same sky. The same moon. I'm sure Max is looking up at the man in the moon thinking about his big sister in the palace. I bet he, Trae, and Dad watched the Report tonight and applauded for me at home. I say Max is the only one looking at the moon because he and I have more of a connection than Trae and I, I guess. Sounds awful having a favorite but I would never pick between them, I just talk with Max more than Trae. 

"I miss them terribly." I say out-loud, not too loud just a low voice to carry. Me and Mikaylah did this as children, talked to the man in the moon. We thought he would pass on our messages to our Mom, but now that I'm grown up I know there is no such thing. Though, I'd like to think someone is listening.