Chapter Six

Nancy led me, Sara, Lynsie and her two minions out into the hallway. I noticed a set of glass doors leading to the outside and I caught sight of a few flowers. Even a cherry blossom tree poked through the side. Sara and I folded our arms into each others as we followed around with the girls after Nancy who still held onto her clipboard.

"You may all want to get used to that room, you'll be spending most of your time there. We call it the Women's Room. Queen Alexandria and Princess Macy spend a lot of their down-time in there as well, their maids usually join them." Nancy tells us when we walk out. "Then we have the Great Room, which you all passed on your way in. The palace uses that room for parties and banquets. We also have the dining room, we'll take a quick peek in there." 

She showed us where we would be eating for the time that we would spend in the palace, it made me think about what Max said. About me rubbing it in on how delicious the food was, I felt my stomach rumble. Sara poked me and we both giggled. The Royal Family eat at this small round table detached from the two long tables on either side where we will be eating. On every place mat a little note-card had everyone's names on them written in neat, cursive handwriting. Sara sits across from me and I'm stuck between Thea and another girl named Lacey Bern. 

We also saw the room where the Capital Report was broadcasted, where most guards and maids slept, the direction of the kitchen, and then we were shown where Prince Jackson and King Oliver work. Nancy said that we were never allowed in their study, off limits I suppose.

"The third floor is also off limits to you ladies. That is where the Royal Family sleeps and any kind of intrusion will not be tolerated. All of your rooms are on the second floor. Most are guest rooms, but don't worry, we have plenty more if guests decide to pop in during the Selection process.

"Here, we have the entrance into the gardens, you are not to go outside under any circumstances. There will be times when you are allowed outside, but not without permission. Our guards try there best but we have had rebels inside the grounds before and we want to keep you all safe."  Nancy says. 

My eyes widen and a shiver melts its way down my spine. What if my mom broke into the palace while I was here? Has she already been in here? What if someone finds out that my mother isn't actually dead and that she's a rebel? Would they kick me out? Arrest me? Torture me to find her whereabouts? Am I walking on the same ground that my mother did. . . I have to force myself from groaning before we continue on with our tour.

"Now all of your things are already in your rooms, and if you do not like the setup or decor just tell your maids. You each have three, which are already in your rooms as well. They are to help you with anything that you need and will help you get ready for dinner. Before dinner, you will all meet back in the Women's Room for an extra special, live showing of the Capital Report! Then next week, you'll be on it too! On tonight's screening there will be some footage of you leaving your homes and arriving here, but you should know that Prince Jackson has not seen anything from today. He'll see everything just as the rest of Illea does, and you will officially meet him in the morning. 

"Dinner tonight will just be with you and the rest of the girls, but tomorrow, the games begin!" 

I bet if Nancy could, she would've squealed or jumped up and down in excitement. Her faces looked like it hurt from how much she was smiling, made me want to smile. Or laugh. On our way up the stairs to the second floor Nancy pointed Lynsie and her minions to go one way and me and Sara to go down the other hall. We both sighed in relief before walking down it with our heels and dresses still on. The two of us happened to have rooms across from each other. Someone had written our names on tags on the doors, same handwriting as the one's from the dining room.