Manik looked at him skeptically.

"Yes! A dance! You as infants only get exposed to hard tasks of this service but it's true that an army man is more than what you all have known," he said while putting hand over Manik's shoulder.

"You still don't know, why I chose you 20 for representing our infantry in annual feast. Do you?" asked Colonel.

"Because you all are wholehearted," he added, "men of substance who would go to any extent to bring pride to this regiment and nation."

Manik listened to him wholeheartedly and got an answer to "why him."

Tutor, a beautiful female girl or an old experienced lady; Speculations flew across the hall. And she entered. Manik's face got filled with a smile, relieving one.

Mrs. Singh, better half of Colonel Singh. She smiled to everyone warmly.

"I am having a fine day. Don't I? So many good looking boys in a room, waiting for me," she giggled.

It was one of lightest moments they all got in a while. Class was full of joy and dance. Manik returned to dormitory with light head.

Her words were still wandering in head. "Hold a girl's hand like you are her man who will get her through everything, support her waist like she is the one, and sway for that very moment, glide through that dance" He smiled. He wasn't going to dance anyways there, he thought so.

The day was there. Dressed up in blue ploy woolen suit, hair all gelled, he walked down the hall.

"All ready? My boys," asked Colonel.
Every boy had this excitement for the evening. They all were going out after 10 tiring days.

Town was decorated with lights. It was annual day. Manik's eyes reflected the lights as he looked at them all amazed. Annual day was indeed important. He gasped the nervousness.

Bus stopped right in front of city hall. "Beautiful," he uttered while watching the decorated hall. It was a bit extra cold that night. It might have snowed nearby. He looked at dense sky which still had some of blue in it. His fingers traveled the edge of his coat's crease. They all walked in, lead by seniors. Hall was full of people, hundreds of them. He opened mouth to exhale the heat generating in there.

An Honor ceremony, Mayor's speech and few other talking people; event was pretty content. After everything official, Colonel brought them all to the Mayor. Lined up finely, they all did have proper introduction.

"Meet Cadet Manik Malhotra," said Colonel.

He advanced his hand for a hand shake. Mayor did hold his hand firmly.

Evening was going normal. Talks of that dance were still nowhere. Manik was relaxed a bit. Seeing beautiful faces dressed up all fancy, he roamed a bit.

"Nandini" He heard someone calling the name. He quickly turned around to trace the source. But crowd was bit too dense to cut through. He pushed away the doubt.

Starry eyes and charming smiles, place was too full of energy. He stopped by the bar to get a drink. A big window right in front was offering heavenly view of mountains. Those far away mountains were covered in snow. It did snow fall but far away.

And when he was too indulged in his thoughts, an announcement broke the chain. It was about that dance. Elite locals and army men, they all gathered in middle of hall. Manik didn't know what to do. He decided to stay at bar only.

"Manik" He heard someone taking his name. Colonel was calling him. He followed the call and reached him.

"Boys, it's time. I know I know...you all don't have partners but this is the perk of this service, every girl would love to dance with an army man. So just loosen up a bit," he said.

Manik kept standing like a rampike unless a girl came and asked him for dance. Slow piano music and people just changing feet on the name of dance, it was easy. He looked at girl and then again voyage. With the change in pace of music, partners got changed. Feet stopped moving and he just could stare her. Same smile and chaos causing eyes, she put her hand on his shoulder. Manik could melt in the moment. His eyes were still wide open.

"Dance you Idiot," she said.

He started to move feet. Music got paced. He held her hand firmly and peeped through her big eyes. His other hand was somewhere in air half an inch away from her waist. Still, heat of her flesh was reaching his pores. "The girl from the bus stop" he mumbled.

"You are the same girl," he said unsurely.

"What same girl?" she asked carelessly.

"The girl who distracts us in practice ground," he said.

"Nooo...Not at all. I am seeing you for the first time," she denied.

Manik's hand was now on her waist. "Oh really," he quipped.

"Yes. Why are you being gummy?" She warned and turned to walk away.

"Nandini!!" he called the name.

She did turn around. Manik had this winning smile and she had this annoyance on her red glossy lips.

She didn't stop and walked away quickly.

He looked around and saw snow falling. His first snow fall!
____________________________