Room 112 Ch. 1

"Head to room 112." the note read. My heart started racing, This is going to be like last year, isn't it. I stood up, and slowly made my way out of 7th period science. Oh God please don't let it be like last year. I pleaded. At least the science room is close to room 112, less tension that way. My hands were starting to clam up, not good. I marched into the classroom, and Mrs. King stood at the front of the classroom in one of her out-of-style skirts, the kind you never want to see a social studies teacher in, but always expect them to wear.

I plopped down at a desk, a bit too lazily, probably looked bad since this was the Japan Exchange Program I was trying to get into, any chance I had of changing their decision probably just evaporated as I sat down. Several other students that I didn't know filed into the classroom, well, except for Max and Mia, of course they got in, but not any one I was actually friends with.

"Well, I am pleased to say that you all got accepted!" announced Mrs. King. My heart leaped, that was not what I'd been expecting at all.

Several students began clapping, and I joined in, as did Max, and that hippie looking kid in the front.

I thought they selected students based on how they presented themselves, this kid does not look like a good choice to represent our country. I thought. He wore aggressively baggy sweats, torn at the knees and fraying at the ends, his hair didn't look like it had been cut in forever, and his slumped posture certainly didn't compliment his figure. Oh well, best to focus on the trip. I shifted my attention back to Mrs, King, who was presenting us with the information on the parent-student meeting next week in the library.

"We're meeting at 5:00, and don't be late, the Japanese are very punctual." she said. Mrs. King was a fairly likable teacher, though she didn't seem to fare well in social situations, which, for middle school, was not good.

"So stupid." I thought I heard the hippie kid mutter, though it was hard to tell.

The students filed out and a red-headed girl walked up to Mrs. King.

"And yes, your sister will be coming too." I heard Mrs. King say as I slung my pack over my shoulder.

I walked up to Mrs. King next.

"Hello!" she smiled, she'd never been my teacher, but I had applied last year for this, and when I didn't get it, I'd stayed after school in her class, trying to improve my knowledge for next year. Looks like it'd finally paid off.

"Hey," I replied, "I was kinda surprised when you said that we were going, since this was the classroom that the unaccepted people had gone to last year."

"Yeah, I transferred rooms."

I surveyed the paper covered walls labeled "Graffiti Wall." Really? A middle school teacher had a graffiti wall in her classroom? "It looks very nice." I commented.

What did it matter what she did with her room anyways, in a few months, I'd be in Japan, and that was all that mattered.

~ ~ ~

"You will need a total of $2,030 for this trip," said Mrs. King, several students gasped, and the parents cringed, "A quarter of which will be paid off by fundraisers."

"That's still 1,503 dollars." I whispered to my mom, who seemed to have gone into a shock induced coma.

"These fundraisers include the Christmas Gift Wrapping, Burgerville, a Yard Sale, Jerky, and Popcorn. If anyone has any Ideas for other fundraisers, please raise your hand."

My hand shot up into the air, "Last year the school had a donut fundraiser that was a huge success, maybe we could borrow that idea for this."

"Donut fundraiser." Mrs. King mumbled as she wrote it down in a piece of paper. "And, who'll get the donuts?" she asked. No one raised their hand. My mom hesitantly raised hers. "Great!" said Mrs. King, "Christine will do it."