amnesia

REYNA SAT QUIETLY on the hospital room bed. Her mouth was slightly parted, while her gaze was fixed on the tiled floor, her normally bright and happy green eyes void of any kind of emotion. Her brain seemed to shut down sometime during the trip to the hospital, and she wasn't sure whether or not it was because of a sensory overload regarding the incident that had occurred almost twelve hours ago, or the grade three concussion she had sustained after having her head slammed viciously into the side of a dumpster. Either way, she couldn't bring herself to care about the reasoning for it; she enjoyed not being able to feel—she preferred it that way, even if it was only temporary.

"The doctor told me that Sebastian is on his way here," the bartender, whose name she had come to learn was Morgan, said to her as she entered the room.

Morgan had been with Reyna since she found her in the alleyway. She hadn't once left her side, even after being told by the paramedics that she needed to head on home. Reyna hadn't wanted her to go; she wanted her to stay, as Morgan had been the one to find her and help her, and she didn't want her to leave her alone.

Reyna looked up at her, her dull green eyes meeting Morgan's brown ones. "Sebastian?"

Morgan nodded and moved to sit down beside her on the bed. "Yes, Sebastian—your boyfriend, Sebastian."

Reyna frowned and let out a breath as she worked through her muddled mind to find Sebastian, wishing her concussion had erased the memory of what had happened to her, rather than the memory of the person she apparently loved the most. "I'm assuming he's going to be worried."

"Are you gonna tell him what happened?"

"I can't," Reyna said quickly, her voice cracking slightly. The thought of telling anyone about what had happened made her feel sick to her stomach. She refused to even tell the doctors what had actually happened, and instead had made up some story about hanging out with Morgan and hitting her head when she fell. Morgan had been very reluctant about lying to the doctors, but she understood better than anyone why Reyna felt the need to do so. She was scared, scared in more ways than one.

"I understand," Morgan sighed.

Before Reyna could respond, her name was being called, and a very familiar man was running into the hospital room, followed by three more familiar men and a woman. Reyna furrowed her eyebrows in concentration as she worked through the identities of the faces, but doing so only gave her a horrible headache and no results.

"Oh my god, Reyna," Sebastian exclaimed as he made his way over to her, wrapping his arms tightly around her and startling her slightly. At the moment, she wasn't exactly sure who he was; all she knew was that he was a man, and given what had happened earlier, it made her uncomfortable.

Morgan noticed Reyna's disgruntled—and slightly fearful—expression and stood up, latching herself onto Sebastian's arm. She managed to pull him away from her, much to his despair. Reyna seemed to be relieved because of it, though, and she pulled herself farther into the bed, hugging her knees to her chest and resting her throbbing head in between her kneecaps. It seemed as if the littlest of things could take her back to that one, terrifying moment.

Sebastian glanced at Morgan before fixing his gaze on Reyna, while her remaining cast-mates (Scarlett, Anthony, Jeremy, and Tom) exchanged looks with one another by the door. They had no clue what was going on with her at all; all they knew was that whatever had happened had had some sort of affect on her, and that was something they could tell just by looking at her. She wasn't herself, and that worried them.

"Reyna," Sebastian spoke again, his voice wavering slightly. "Talk to me."

Reyna only shook her head, leaving Sebastian to look at Morgan.

"Are you a nurse or a doctor?"

"No, I just—"

"Then what are you doing here?" Sebastian cut her off.

Reyna looked up at him, not at all liking the tone of his voice. "That's my friend. Don't talk to her like that."

Scarlett then stepped up to the bed, her eyes softening as they met Reyna's. "Rey, can you talk to us and tell us what happened please?"

"I would suggest not crowding her," a new voice sounded, attracting everyone's attention. Doctor Smith, the man who had called Sebastian on the phone, walked into the room with his clipboard and his pen in hand. "She's not exactly in the right mind as of now."

"What the hell happened to her? She's treating me as if she doesn't even know me," Sebastian exclaimed, leaving Scarlett to grab his hand in an attempt to calm him down.

"That's because she probably doesn't," Doctor Smith told him as he made his way to her bedside.

"What do you mean by that?" Jeremy questioned.

"She sustained a grade three concussion; she's suffering from temporary amnesia," Doctor Smith answered him as he pulled a light out of his pocket, once again checking Reyna's eyes.

Sebastian's stomach dropped at the sound of his words, and he looked at Reyna, the sadness flooding into his body at the thought of her not knowing who he was. "She doesn't know me?"

"I'm right here," Reyna mumbled. "You don't have to talk about me as if I'm not."

Sebastian sighed and shook his head, moving away from Scarlett to sit down beside Reyna on her bed. "I just wanna know how the hell this happened, Rey. I've been worried shitless for the past three hours."

"I was hanging out with my new friend Morgan and I fell," Reyna told him, though the real reason as to how it all happened and the pain of the memory that came along with it threatened to break through to the surface, and Reyna tried as hard as she possibly could to keep it contained.

"I just don't understand, Reyna," Sebastian said slowly. "It doesn't make sense."

"Can you just drop it and be happy with the fact that I'm okay?" Reyna squeaked, grabbing his hand despite the fact that just moments ago was slightly unsure of his identity. The feeling she received from him was enough to inform her that he meant quite a lot to her, though, and that was enough assurance for her.

Sebastian swallowed and squeezed her hand back, though he wanted to hug her and kiss her and love her. He would keep his distance for now, however, until she came back to him. "I am happy—I'm more than happy."

"We're gonna keep her overnight for observation, so if one of you would like to stay here with her then I'll permit it," Doctor Smith said to the group.

"Sebastian can, no argument," Tom spoke up.

"Thank you for staying the obvious, Tom," Anthony remarked with a roll of his eyes.

"He is her boyfriend," Jeremy then stated.

Tom scoffed and crossed his arms over his chest. "I came here to see my mom, not get ripped on by you lot," he grumbled before leaving the room, leaving Jeremy and Anthony to follow after him.

"Mom?" Reyna said with wide eyes. "I'm not his mom, am I?"

Sebastian chuckled and shook his head. "No, you're not; it's an inside joke."

"Oh, okay."

Doctor Smith chuckled and hugged his clipboard to his chest. "It's okay, she'll remember it all in the morning."

"I sure hope so."