After Wedding Parties...Kissing...and Chaos

The party was to take place in the ballroom below in the hotel. Heath's arm was still around my waist and I was grateful for it. I was extremely nervous despite the calm facade that was on my face.

"Calm down," Heath whispered in my ear sending tingles dancing down my spine.

"...I'll try."

We walked into the ballroom and I almost collapsed into tears. It was perfect...everything I had ever dreamed off. I kept myself from wishing that everything had ended up right. I couldn't dwell in the past. I resolved that I would...well at least try to move forward starting today. Matt broke up with me without a second thought, so I shouldn't focus on what could've been either.

"Looks like we're early. It's only my parents and Xander here." Heath waved to his family.

Xander was the Lancaster family's youngest son and he seemed to share their trait for being almost indescribably handsome. He shared Heath's dark locks, but had blue eyes like his father, Robert. His mother Sylvia was a beautiful woman as well. They were nice as well. Robert and Sylvia both seemed to bear an affection for me probably due to the fact that they had no daughters of their own. They both smiled at me, but remained sitting absorbed in their own conversation. Xander on the other hand sauntered up to us.

"Sorry about Matt," he said giving me a sheepish smile.

"Nothing you need to apologize for. It's not your fault," I said.

"Yeah but still...Heath is smart. If I were him I would've snapped you up in a heartbeat as well. You could've counted on it...if it were legal for me to get married."

A little giggle escaped my lips. This kid was flirting with me.

"Sorry Xander, you're just eight years too younger for her," Heath teased. Xander pouted and I didn't resist the urge to pinch his cheeks. Sometimes he had to be reminded that he was talking to an adult.

"Rose..." he groaned.

"Xander, you shouldn't try to act older than me," I mock scolded. Heath snickered.

People started to arrive within a half an hour. I felt a few people's disapproving glares on my back, and heard some of their malicious comments. A few containing a couple of choice profanities I'd rather not repeat. There were people who kindly didn't say anything and just listened patiently when I explained my sob story. It seemed that people were actually buying it. Many people called me brave and strong for putting up with Matt and the whole situation. I felt a bit bad for lying but it was worth it.

We were about half way into the evening and I felt that people were accepting me. That was good. If I was going to help Heath out then I would have to play the perfect social wife. Also it would piss of Matt if Heath bested him in something. So it was for both of our benefit.

After dinner music started playing and Heath and I were dragged out onto the dance floor by over zealous. She was hanging out with the man who had caught my garter last night. I was glad to see that they had hit it off. We ended up being dragged in the middle of the dance floor. Heath sighed running a hand through his hair before offering a smile which made my heart skip a beat. His arms wrapped around my waist pulling me flush against his body. Due to my nervousness I stumbled a bit when he pulled me close. The force sent my lips colliding against his. My eyes widened in shock to feel the touch of his soft lips firm against mine. He pulled away and I could've sworn that his blush was just as dark as mine. Everyone cheered. I resisted the urge to bury my face in his Armani suit clad chest.

Once we regained our composure we began to dance. I could feel his heart thundering in his rib cage mirroring mine. It was nice to know that I had the same affect on him that he had on me. We were scrambling a bit at the beginning, but he took the lead quickly. Soft piano music played as we waltzed across the floor. He was excellent, I was generally a pretty good dancer, my only weak area being the waltz. You could tell that he was truly good because he made me look good.