Chapter Six

"Emmaleigh! Hurry, I don't have much time." I frantically look around, where is she? "Emmaleigh, I'm right here, always right here. I'm looking for you, okay? Don't ever give up hope. I love you, I'm right here. You have got to go out, you have to open up. Emmaleigh, you have to let your suffering go, before it's too late."

Shauna appears in front of me, with her beautiful brown eyes, and her hair in a ponytail."God, Em. You look terrible. You have to take better care of yourself, why are you doing this to yourself Emmaleigh? I don't want this for you." I try to talk, but no words come to me. "Em," she starts, "say something."

I push passed the lump in my throat, "Shauna, why did you leave me? Why didn't you tell me you were going to die? I don't know what to do without you. I'm lost. You're gone." A sad smile appears on her ghostly face, "but don't you see, Em? I'm not gone. I'm the wind rustling the leaves, I'm the smell of the flowers, I am always right there. When you miss me, just look at me." I start crying, "how can I look at you when you're gone?" She touches my shoulder, "I love that birthmark, Em. It's going to help me find you. In my next life. Until then, look at me. Look at the stars and know I'm watching out for you from them. Please, don't close me out anymore. I love you. We'll be together again, but you won't recognize me, and I won't recognize you. Don't cry, darling. We'll be together again."

She starts to fade away and I grasp at her hand, "don't leave, Shauna. Please, come back! How will I know? When? Shauna, please." She smiles, and the lights of my dream start flickering, "when you least expect it, Emmaleigh. Wake up." But I can't wake up, I can't lose her again. Not like this.

"Wake-"

"-up Emmaleigh!" I feel someone shaking my shoulder as I try to call her back, tears streaming down my cheeks. "Em, you're crying and calling out in your sleep, wake up," Jace tries to sit me up, and I look around, baffled and disoriented, "wha-" I question, before the nurse walks in. "Oh good, you're awake. Emmaleigh, you passed out. It's evident that you haven't been eating, and the lack of sleep mixed in with it, you just collapsed. Are you having problems going to sleep? We can get you some medicine." It takes me a minute to register what she is saying, and I look around again, noticing that I'm in a hospital room. I have an IV in my arm and I start to panic, but I tell the nurse I'm fine, and ask if I can go.

After several more minutes they let me go, I look back at the room I was in.

0708

We were in the room Shauna died in.

X

"Are you sure you'll be okay?" Jace asks for the fifth time. I roll my eyes, "yes, Jace. I just have somewhere I have to go." He glances at me, worry evident on his face as I step out of the car and head to the clearing.

When I get to the opening I stop in my tracks, gawking.