Albus gave his signature single nod and turned back to his book. Scorpius sat down on the seat across from Albus, debating if he should strike up a conversation.

Albus wasn't saying anything so Scorpius figured he would have to.

"Look, I'm sorry. I know that you're probably upset and all, but I still want to be friends," Scorpius spoke up.

Albus didn't react for a moment, "Yeah, me too," he didn't even look up from his book.

"Are you mad at me?" Scorpius asked quietly.

"No," he answered shortly.

They were both quiet for several minutes, Albus reading, Scorpius anxiously fiddling with his hands in his lap.

"Why won't you talk to me?" Scorpius asked, moving closer to Albus.

"Because there's nothing to talk about, Scorpius," Albus said sternly, slamming his book closed.

"Yes, us-"

"No. No, Scorpius, there is no us anymore. You made that much clear the other night. What more do you want?" Albus snapped, discarding his book next to him.

"Why are you-"

"Because," Albus cut him off, "I heard you tell your little friend that I don't love you."

"Wha - who?" Scorpius asked, confused.

"Anora, that little fourth year that you started talking to last year," Albus crossed his arms over his chest.

"She's a fifth year and we barely talk..." Scorpius shamefully looked away.

"Speaking of the devil," Albus muttered under his breath, just as a short girl with waist length, straight brown hair pushed open the door and stepped in.

"Hey, Scorpius," she gave him a sweet smile, "Want to join me and my friends?"

"Uh..." Scorpius glanced at Albus who had turned away to dig out his cigarettes from his bag. "Sure," Scorpius stood up, slinging his bag over his shoulder.

"Can I have one?" Anora asked Albus, referring to his cigarettes.

Albus gave Scorpius a confused look, but Scorpius didn't react. Albus handed over a fag and before he could offer, she lit it up with her own wand and took a drag.

"Come on now," Anora grabbed Scorpius' wrist and pranced off with him.

Albus laughed in disbelief and slouched against the seat, taking a long drag from his own fag.

The first month of school dragged on for Albus. The only times he interacted with Scorpius was when they bumped into each other in their dorm, or if they were for some reason paired in class.

It had been an hour past curfew and Scorpius still hadn't gotten back from Anora's, well at least that's where Albus assumed he had been.

Not that he cared that Scorpius was there... It was just that he had noticed...

Usually he'd hang out with Anora and her friends, then several minutes before curfew, he'd climb in bed and shut his curtains.