Year Three - Drowning

Rose slapped a small stack of parchment in front of James, Scorpius, and Albus, "I've mapped out all the attacks that have happened since we arrived. There is absolutely no pattern anywhere. It's not just Muggleborns, Halfboods, or Purebloods. There have been ten Muggleborns, twelve Halfboods, and nine Purebloods," Rose explained.

"There's been over thirty attacks?"James asked.

Rose nodded, pointing to her parchments, "The repeats in attacks are random, for example, whoever it is - we'll call them..." she thought for a moment, "DM, yeah, DM for Dark Magic, or Dark Mark," she nodded.

Scorpius furrowed his eyebrows, "No. Those are my fathers initials, it'll seem as though it's him."

Rose shrugged, "For all we know it could be, he is a former Death Eater. Anyways, DM has used the boil curse on me and some third year during our first year. They also only used the one where maggots come out of your nose, ears and mouth, once."

"Is it by house?" James asked.

Rose shook her head, "There's been almost an even amount of attacks by house, year, gender, and blood."

"Are you sure there's no pattern? Like they don't attack one person from a house at a time?" James asked.

"Nope," Rose shook her head tiredly.

Albus shuffled through her parchments with a glower on his face, "You've gone to all this work?"

"Yes! I want to help stop whoever it is! When they wrote, 'Voldemort will return' in blood, it scared me!" She shivered.

Albus spotted his dad walking down between the Hufflepuff and Slytherin table towards them and turned his attention back to the papers.

Their summer had gone better than the last but he was still cold to his father, especially after he refused to step down from the Defense Against the Dark Arts spot.

"What are we discussing here?" Harry asked curiously.

"Rose has mapped out all the past Dark attacks, trying to find a pattern but can't find anything," James explained.

Albus rolled his eyes, tossing the parchments back onto the table, "The one pattern you've missed is that all these people have openly admitted to not supporting the Dark Arts at one time or the other." Albus grabbed his bag and stood up, dragging Scorpius with. He gave the other three a innocent look as he walked off.

"My money's on Irving Cram the Third, a Slytherin in my year who always boasts about how pure his family is and how his family has been in Slytherin as long as time itself," James rolled his eyes.

Rose and Harry shared a look, referring to Albus' comment. Both half ignoring James.

••••

"Did your father send those books?" Albus asked, climbing onto Scorpius' four poster as he closed the curtains and cast a silencing spell.

"Yeah, I've got them," Scorpius replied.

"Alright, good. We need to learn some new curses. Ours are getting lousy and predictable-"

"Albus, you need to calm down about this. Yes, I agree that they're getting lousy, but we only just put pollyjuice potion for a snake in Abigail Turners pumpkin juice yesterday," Scorpius interrupted.

"But-"

"The closer, and less planned out the attacks are, the easier it will be for people to figure out it's us," Scorpius continued.

"Yeah, I know but-"

Scorpius shook his head, "Let's not even worry about that right now. There's something else I want to talk to you about," Scorpius fidgeted with his fingers.