Chapter Twelve - A Dovah's Birthday

"Happy birthday to you," I wake up to the sound of Farkas singing incredibly off-key. I try not to wince.

"Happy birthday to you," Marco joins in with his perfect choirboy voice.

"Happy birthday dear Skylar," grandfather joins in, not sounding too shabby.

"Happy birthday to youuu!" there's quite a crowd in my room. Farkas and Vilkas stand in the doorway, both nudging each other for space. Aela and Marco are sitting on the end of my bed with gifts in their hand and Grandfather stands next to my bed with Athis.

"You didn't have to," I smile at them wearily.

"Of course we did, it's your birthday," Aela rolls her eyes. "Now get dressed and go upstairs. You'll get your presents then,"

They leave my room and instead of putting on my usual training gear (which is either leather armour or some plain steel stuff. I use my Dwemer armour when I'm out on quests) I put on a nicer dress and some fur boots. I comb my hair and I let it flow past my shoulders. I wash my face in the wash basin, hoping I look at least a little bit presentable. 

There's nobody in the living quarters and I head up to the dining area eagerly. Everyone is seated around the long table and there's one space in the middle for me. I sit down there nervously and Tilma serves up a delicious breakfast of toasted bread with honey and sugar-coated nuts and warm jugs of milk sweetened with some spices and a touch of mead.

Then everyone hands out their gifts. From Farkas I got three books, all about one-handed weapons and techniques. Brill and Vignar both got me special thermal socks and gloves to put inside my boots and gauntlets so I can stay warm whenever I'm in the colder parts of Skyrim. Eorland had a whole new set of armour made for me and it looks like crafted midnight and gleams beautifully. Eorland told me it was ebony and a few looked on enviously. Athis had gotten me a new sheathe, specially made for waraxes. Torvar gives me a special selection of spiced meads and some special Argonian ale.

Aela's gift is a new sword, a special Orcish make, Ria got me a volume of books that has information all about dragonslaying, dragon history and lore, word walls and famous dragons. Ria insisted that it was also from Njada. Vilkas said his present was more of an activity to do later on. Finally Tilma promised me a delicious cake for the evening, then Kodlak murmured to me that when Wuuthrad had been completed that it would be mine to protect. Marco handed me a necklace that had a glimmering pendant in the middle. I gasped when I saw what the pendant was: stalhrim!

"This is necklace is courtesy of our friends on Solstheim, as well as myself," Marco explains. "Do you like it, sister?"

"I love it," I tell him earnestly and I fasten the necklace around my neck. Something about it makes me feel more powerful and brave, like I'm ready to take on the world. "Thank you so much, all of you!"

***

Most of Whiterun seemed to know it was my birthday. The Jarl himself summoned me to say happy birthday and his housecarl, Irileth, actually gave me a nod of approval which makes a nice change from her sarcastic comments. I spent an hour or so with Lydia and the Jarl promised to make her my housecarl when I accept the offer of thaneship after my adventuring days.

Later in the day I slip into my new armour and I hang up my Dwemer armour in my wardrobe and I place the Dwemer sword in a case that's also in my room. It feels strange and almost wrong to let it go. The sword and armour is what was left of Iona and what I wore to escape Blackreach as my light leather armour wasn't going to get me anywhere.

"Goodbye, Iona," I whisper and then I close the door to the wardrobe. It's time to let go of the past and move on, I tell myself firmly.

"Skylar?" I hear Vilkas's voice.