Chapter Fifteen:

Nine years later

“Grandmother, when can I see father?”
Frigga looked at her granddaughter with kind, old eyes.
“I will take you now,” she said, closing her book before standing to her feet.
Taking the child’s small hand within her own, Frigga led Hela through the twisting passages of the halls, the little girl glancing curiously through the fine polished windows as they went. It was a warm spring day in Asgard, and the warmth of the yellow sun trickled over the palace with a sense of tranquillity. Cherry blossom was in full bloom and petals which had fallen were carried by the light afternoon breeze. In the distance, Hela could faintly hear water trickling into a stream. She became distracted from the scenery however, when her uncle Thor appeared.
“Princess Hela,” Thor bowed, which made Hela giggle childishly.
“Uncle Thor,” Hela addressed him politely. “I am going to see father today.”
Thor’s eyes immediately flickered to Frigga’s.
“Are you certain this is a good idea?” Thor muttered beneath his breath. “Loki -”
“ - will be fine,” Frigga assured her son. “I’m certain this visit will do him good.”
“He has been in mourning for nine years mother,” Thor spoke quietly so Hela wouldn’t hear. “Her death has effected him badly. Worse than we could have ever imagined.”
Frigga laid a hand against Thor’s cheek.
“It was a shock for all of us,” she said. “But we must learn to move on from the past. Hela is his future, and he must come to understand this. Hela isn’t her.”
Both Thor and Frigga turned to look at the unsuspecting child who peered up at them with large green eyes.
“Can I see my father now?” Hela asked again.
“Of course,” Frigga smiled as Thor moved aside to let them pass, watching them with an expression filled with doubt. The grandmother and granddaughter continued down the hall, the occasional murmuring of servants chatting and their feet against the polished wood was all to be heard. Stopping outside the chamber, Frigga squeezed Hela’s hand warmly.
“I will be waiting outside,” Frigga said before releasing Hela’s hand from hers.

The small child stepped within the chamber as the door closed behind her.
“Father?” Hela called.
The room was almost in complete darkness, the windows closed and the curtains drawn. Hela caught sight of movement within the darkness and heard a sigh which shortly followed.
“Father, are you there?” the child asked boldly.
The curtain twitched before being pulled aside. Hela was finally able to see her father.
“Father!” Hela exclaimed before running towards him.
“Please,” her father’s voice was strained and sad. “Don’t.”

Hela stopped and stared at him. He moved with the gracefulness of a sickened old man, rather like her grandfather Odin. He was skeletal, his clothes hanging off him like they didn’t fit him anymore. His hair was long and dark as her own and his green eyes were sad.
“Father.” Hela bravely took a step towards him. “Can I ask you something?”
Loki drew back his sleeves, covering his wrists which Hela noticed were decorated with strange red and white markings overlapping the other. She was too young to understand of the painful infliction Loki had placed upon himself as a reminder. A reminder of her. Loki stood and looked out of the window.
“What is it?” he asked quietly.
Hela pulled a strand of hair away from her face and began to fiddle with it.
“Why do you not like me?”
Loki immediately turned to look at his questioning daughter.
“What?”
“Did I do something wrong?” the child asked innocently. “Did I make my father sad?”
For a moment, Loki said nothing. He looked into the young girl’s face, so sweet and innocent like her mother’s had been. Her mother had only been a child herself. Hela was shocked to watch as her father’s face began to crumple.
“Father?”
Loki knelt before his daughter, pulling her towards him and hugging her like he could never see to let her go ever again.
“I am so sorry,” Loki whispered into the child’s raven hair. “I am sorry to have neglected you all this time. Can you forgive me? Can you forgive your wicked father?”
Hela raised her small hand and placed it onto her father’s cheek. She began to smile.
“Yes,” she said. “You are not a bad father, only a sad one. Do you miss her? My mother?”
Loki placed his hands on his daughter’s shoulders with tears inside his eyes.
“Yes Hela,” he said. “I miss your mother very, very much.”
“Can you tell me about her?” Hela asked curiously.
Loki raised himself to his feet. For the first time, he was able to take his daughter’s hand without it being painful. He knew that Lola would have been happy to see them together like this.
“She was once a servant…” Loki began as he opened the door to the chamber.
Hela listened with wide open eyes as Loki took her down the hallway, Frigga stepping out from where she had been standing to watch the father and his daughter walked hand - in - hand, oblivious to everything else which was happening around them.
Frigga smiled.

And there you have it! The final installment to Outcast's Love! Thank you for reading and let me know of your overall view of it.

Read/comment/vote!

MischiefMaker26 x