Chapter Six:

Lola stirred from her sleep. She felt Loki's arm brush hers; her legs intimately entwined with his. She lay with her head resting against his chest, listening as Loki's heart pounded hard against her ear. She evoked the delicious memories of the night before as Loki had made love to her. The beautiful, dangerous, sexual way he made her feel. She had felt like she was out of control - projecting power and heat and passion. His mischievous eyes darkening with heat. With teasing lips and his playful hands and the arousing desire for more, always more. Lola stroked the fine hairs that lay along his pale arms. She brushed her lips against his broad shoulder. Loki sighed - his eyes flickering open. He touched her face, his green eyes brighter than they had ever been before.
"Lola," he said, smiling. "How long has it been you first woke?"
"It hasn't been long," she said, kissing him softly. "You looked so peaceful; I did not wish to disturb you."
"You needn't have bothered," he said, flashing an intoxicating grin. "I wouldn't have minded."
Loki tilted Lola's head, focusing her eyes on him.
"Did we just..." Lola giggled childishly.
"Yes," he answered gently. "We just did."
His lips found hers, sparking the heat and ecstasy that coursed through her body, reminiscing the previous night. The breath was caught inside her throat.
"Oh, Loki..." she breathed.
Then it exploded. The ground seemed to tremor underneath them, violently shaking the room. Lola's eyes opened in surprise. Simultaneously, Loki pulled away. His face was filled with concern.
"What was that?" Loki demanded.
He leapt out of bed. He gathered his strewn clothes, pulling on his leather slacks and shrugging his amour over his chest. Lola bundled the discarded bed sheets and wrapped them around her, concealing her naked body. He held the sceptre in his hands. Its mean blue gilt shimmered.
"I must go," Loki said.
Lola had gotten off the bed to stand beside him.
"Be careful," she warned.
Loki kissed her forehead, returning her appeal.
"I promise," he said.
Loki left the room, apprehension crawling up his spine. Then he heard it. The deathly screams that echoed the corridors. Its noise seemed to deafen him. Loki entered the hall.
It was chaos; dead bodies - Asgardian and frost giant - were piling one on top of the other, mixing blood. He could see it all - the screaming, the dying, weapons coated in hard metal and spiked with poison piercing flesh. Loki couldn't see Thor anywhere.
"Father!" Loki screamed, his voice choked. "Father!"
"Thor! Loki! My sons where are you?!"
Odin, his father, battled against a frost giant. With beastly red eyes and sharpened claws that looked like talons, slashed at his father's throat. It missed - just skittering the side of his face. Odin cupped his hand to his cheek in pain. He looked up just as the beast collapsed to the floor, his son's sceptre protruding from out of its back.
"Loki!" Odin exclaimed.
"Father!" Loki helped Odin to his feet. "What happened? Where's Thor?"
"Your brother caused this," Odin said bitterly. "He opened the dimensional portal. Now the frost giants have escaped from Jotunheim and invading ours."
Thor. Loki should have known he would do something as reckless as this. Ignorant bastard.
"Loki! Watch out!"
Loki, sceptre at hand, impaled the frost giant that was hurdling towards him. It toppled to the floor with a sickening thud. Blood leached from out of the creature and pooled around Loki's feet.
"Father, get out of here," Loki urged Odin. "Find mother. Get her out too. Please, I beg of you."
"But, Loki-"
"I said go!"
Loki saw that the Asgardians were losing. Many of them lay dead beside his feet. He threw himself against a giant, hands scrabbling against its cold scaly back. He coaxed its head in a vice - like grip, breaking its neck in half. Thor was still no where to be seen. Frost giants were still pouring from out of the open portal. In proportion to the Asgardians, they were losing a desperate battle. Loki grunted in frustration.
"THOR!" Loki roared.
Thor exploded into the room, red cape billowing behind him. He threw his hammer Mjolnir, at an unsuspecting giant. Loki winced as the hammer came into contact with its skull. Thor grinned. Loki rolled his eyes in exasperation.
"So you finally decided to arrive," Loki said, voice dripping with sarcasm. "How very... noble of you."
"My brother," Thor boomed, clapping Loki on the back.
The air seemed to rush out of Loki's body.
"Right now, I could kill you," Loki muttered callously to Thor. "Here on the spot. I have been waiting long enough to do so. You wouldn't even know."
Despite the situation they were in, Thor laughed. His entire body shook the very ground they were standing on.
"Oh brother, you do know how to make me laugh."
Loki grimaced.
Thor seized his hammer, summoning its power. Loki retrieved his sceptre, striking it into the giant's chest. The ground was sluiced in blood and frost giant ichor. His sceptre was stained with dead giant's blood. Loki had begun to feel weak, his body drained from energy. Loki gritted his teeth, dragging a hand across his forehead and smearing it with blood. He saw Thor, oblivious to the giant who approached him. In the giant's hand, it held a dagger encrusted in sharp looking spikes. A giant's weapon. Loki ran towards Thor. The giant raised the dagger. Thor turned at the last moment.
"NO!"
Loki felt the pain rupturing through his chest like he had been set on fire. He crumpled to the floor, hands closing around the dagger that projected from out of his chest. Thor seized the writhing giant inside his large hands and broke its neck, killing it instantly. Loki's pale hands shook and he wrenched the dagger from out of his body. Loki screamed and slumping against the ground, his body became limp. Thor picked Loki up, clutching him to his chest as he hurried out of the hall.
"Mother! Father!" Thor cried their names in panic.
"Loki, is it Loki? Is he OK?"
Thor turned - the servant girl was standing behind him.
"Nothing of your concern, serving wench," Thor spat.
"How badly is he hurt?" the girl asked quietly.
"More than you can help with, what with your useless ability," Thor snapped angrily.
Thor turned away and began striding down the corridor.
"Loki could be dying," the girl said softly. "Dead for all we know."
Thor slowly turned. His eyes narrowed in anger.
"How dare you! I could have my father cast you out of Asgard. Then where would you go? He only took you in out of charity," Thor said spitefully.
"Your father was kind to me," the girl spoke calmly. "He showed a greater kindness than you could ever show."
Thor's eyes were nothing more than angry slits of loathing. His breathing had become hard; his skin doused in sweat and dried blood.
"Allow me to treat Loki," the girl asked with plea to her voice. "We haven't much time."
Thor nodded stiffly.
"Fine," Thor said coldly.
He followed the girl as she led him to the servants' quarters. Thor stood glowering in the corner, watching as the girl stripped Loki to the waist. She examined the wounds in silence.
"Herbs," the girl said finally. "I need some medicinal herbs and strips of cloth, if you please."
Thor scowled and stormed out of the room, muttering angrily to himself. When she was alone, she knelt beside Loki. His chest heaved - his breathing ragged and coarse. She held his lifeless hand.
"You said you would be careful," she whispered, her throat tight, voice trembling. "You promised me, Loki."
She kissed his cold lips fiercely, clenching his hand like she could never let it go. A little of his blood stained her mouth. She could feel the tears burning behind her eyes. She wanted to cry, more than it was possible to actually do so. She held back the tears, blinking pitifully.
"L...Lola..."
Loki's green eyes fluttered open.
"Loki?" she whispered.
Loki smiled weakly.
"Is it bad?" he whispered, his voice weary, strained and sad.
"The wound is deep," Lola said miserably. "Internal. You are bleeding inside."
Loki nodded, accepting his fate. Lola couldn't withstand it no longer.
"Loki, I'm -"
Loki slowly sat up. He winched, his face contorted with pain. He looked at his hands, covered with blood.
"Loki, there's something I have to tell you," Lola laced her fingers with his, watching him.
Loki held her gaze; their foreheads were almost touching.
"What is it?" he asked.
She took a deep breath.
"I'm pregnant," Lola said.
For a moment Loki said nothing. Silently, he held his arms out to her. Lola embraced him, burrowing her head into his shoulder.
"Promise me this," Loki whispered, tightening his hold on her. "Firstly, look after our child, son or daughter. Secondly, promise me to look out for Thor. Keep him restrained on a leash if you have to," he finished with mild amusement. Lola released her hold on Loki.
"But... you hate Thor!" Lola exclaimed. "You asked me to kill him. You said how much you resented him since you were a child, since he was claimed to be the future ruler of Asgard. Or was it all just a lie?" Lola finished sourly. Loki suddenly doubled up in a violent coughing fit that racked his entire body. Fresh blood splattered the already crimson bed sheets. He lay down, gasping, fighting for breath that wouldn't come.
"I manipulated you," Loki spluttered, blood dribbling down his chin. He feebly tried to wipe it away.
"I used you for my intentions. Yes, I hated Thor. I have tried to kill him more times that could be accounted for - but then I found you. I loved someone who gave me love in return. I love you Lola, and I will love you forever still. When I'm dead, my soul gone and my body turned to ash, I will love you. I belong with you and you belong with me. Never forget that."
Loki lifted his head and kissed her, tears mingling with blood - a kiss that would never be truly enough.
"Stay with me," Loki pleaded. "Please, it is all I ask of you now."
Lola climbed onto the table. They held each other, silent in their love for one another. Struggling to fight the tears. Waiting until the end. But by then it was already too late. She could feel Loki shaking, her shoulder damp. He was crying.
"It's okay," Lola soothed. "It's okay. I'm here. I love you."
She repeated the words, over and over, whispering them until she felt Loki's hands loosen around her. His body lay lifeless against hers. She laid him onto the table, kissing him. His lips were cold and dead, as was he.
"I love you," Lola said.
She pressed a trembling hand to her mouth. Stained, with Loki's blood. Lola didn't know what to do. She had no thoughts. Her face was expressionless, her body cold and her posture hard. Not even tears could give her refuge now.
I belong with you and you belong with me. Never forget that. The words seemed to echo through her mind.
"You loved him, and he loved you."
Lola turned round; unaware that Thor had been standing there watching her.
"Yes!" Lola cried in anguish. "I love Loki and now I carry his child. This is what he wanted."
Lola took a hesitant step towards Thor. He had the appearance of an angry bull - head lowered, fists clenched and teeth drawn back into a snarl. Lola could almost imagine two sharp horns protruding from out of his head.
"Do you realise what you have done?" Thor asked her coldly.
Lola nodded. "Yes," she whispered. "And now I am ready to accept my fate."
She knelt before Thor; her head lowered and clutching her tender stomach. Thor removed the dagger from his belt. It was beautiful - embedded with opals and moonstones, the sliver blade was polished to a high shine.
This is it, Lola thought. I am to be executed on the spot. Not even a crowd gathering or public humiliation. I can now be with Loki. We will finally be at peace.
Lola lowered her head, waiting for the dagger to be driven through her heart.
"By the hand of Odin," Thor began solemnly. "I banish you from Asgard."
Thor replaced the dagger in his belt. Lola looked up in surprise. Thor crouched beside her, close enough to whisper inside her ear.
"Go." It was his one command. "Do not ever return, for if you do I will kill you myself."
Lola nodded, almost grateful for what Thor had done.
"Thank you," she said.
Lola turned to glance at Loki one last time. He lay like a fallen warrior, hands resting over his heart. His skin looked like it had been carved from white marble, sparkling softly. She could have looked at him forever, but she willed herself to eventually tear her eyes away before settling them on Thor.
"You are to leave now," Thor commanded.
"Yes my Lord," she said.