Chapter Twenty Six

Start from the beginning

‘I don’t know Padfoot; I don’t suppose anyone’s ever thought of that before. You could always ask someone though. More importantly, how are we going to get out of asking someone to be our date for the damn trip to Hogsmeade?’

Guess we could ask someone ourselves Bet Jones and her friends would agree to pair up with us if we begged them

‘I’d rather not go with them.’

Why not? Youve been very quiet on the Lily front these past few weeks (thank Merlin). I guess we can reward you with some time with her as long as you promise to keep the mooning around to a minimum.

‘Exactly Padfoot! We’ve been quiet. I’ve decided not to talk to her. I need to try and… guess you could say that I need to try and get over her. Nothing’s ever going to happen, it’s fine. I’ve got that now. But I’d rather not have to spend Valentine’s Day with her. I bet someone’s already asked her anyway.’ As he read this Sirius gazed at James in astonishment, his mouth hung open in comical amazement and he mouthed silent words, doing a wonderful impression of a goldfish.

“I very much hope that it is my speech on living to living Transfiguration that has you looking like Mr Black and not something that James Potter has told you and yet failed to share with the class,” McGonagall commented acidly.

“Don’t worry Professor, it was your speech. I can’t believe you think so badly of us that you believe we’d talk while you’re giving such an interesting lesson.”

“Why don’t I believe you Black?”

“Because you jump to conclusions?” he tried hopefully.

“Do you want a detention?”

“Well if you’re offering me a choice I’m obviously going to go for no. Nobody in their right mind wants detention, especially when there are far more useful things I could be doing with my time.”

“Oh? Like what?”

“Like planning something detention-worthy,” he grinned. “Or doing my Transfiguration homework and investigating how Gamp’s Third Theory of Transfiguration limits the number of times one creature can be transfigured into another. Is there a limit?”

McGonagall’s smile was hidden by the frown which she forced her face to assume and she turned back to the board at the front of the room. “Well Mr Black, one would think that, if magic acts in accordance with Gamp’s Third Theory, there would be a limit but as many Animagi over the years have proved, this is not the case. Now it could be because…” Sirius zoned out as McGonagall carried on and started writing, pretending he was writing notes.

Oh. I didnt know that. Why dont you ever tell me these things? In fairness, and this is how you know somethings up because honestly, if I can get it then there must be something wrong in the world, it was probably about time. Also the poor girl will get some rest now,’ he accompanied this with a quiet snigger before continuing, ‘not that Evans really needed any help getting you off her backI suppose She was feisty enough to be one of us. Used to drive me mental that Snivellus had got there first, the slimy git.

‘Yeah well Evans is off the table now. We’re going to act like mature adults from now on.’

Aaah I see,’ Remus added as McGonagall took a break from her talk to let them read a couple of pages from the textbook, ‘we’re going to be extremely mature and ignore her because she wounded our pride.