Happy Endings Are Stories That Havent Ended Yet

Okay, I'm not gonna lie to you guys.. I haven't wrote shit lately. and it's not cause I don't want to, it's just that school is so stressful... it really is mentally draining. I can't promise that I'll update regularly, so please don't expect too much of me. but I can promise I'll do my best.. okay? okay.  

the theme of this chapter is Happy Endings Are Stories That Haven't Ended Yet. enjoy. 

________

   Several months later, Ryan takes in the new walls that surround him. They feel as dull and lifeless as his father has been since Susan's death. Nothing but a white cascade of emptiness. Sighing, he rummaged through the boxes filled with his belongings and got out a picture frame. He wiped across it, letting the layer of dust meet his fingers. As he did a tear formed in his eye from the picture. It was of his mother, a big smile on her face as she held him in an embrace. 

    Ryan put the picture frame onto the nightstand that was beside his twin sized bed. He took in a deep breath and exited what he now has to call his home. 

   Walking down the single staircase, he strode across his new living room and into the kitchen. There stood his father, sitting at a table looking at some papers. David's eyes immediately hit Ryan's, sending a chill down Ryan's spine. He loved his father, yes, but the look in his eyes always scared him lately. They seemed as though they were a never ending iris of emotion coursing through him. 

   Nevertheless, Ryan walked to the table and took the seat that was across from his father. 

  "Did you finish unpacking?" David asked him, going back to sorting through his stack of papers. 

  "No, I'm just taking a break." Ryan replied, fidgeting with his thumbs, something he did often when he felt nervous.  

  "Would you like to go outside or something?" David asked him halfheartedly.  

  Ryan instantly knew that this meant he would be going alone, because since Susan's death, his dad never set foot into a woods anymore. But Ryan didn't mind being alone, seeing he had been for most of his life. So he just nodded and made his way out the backdoor. 

  Ryan took in a deep breath of fresh air. Although not familiar with the trees around him, he felt as if he knew nature itself, and made no hesitation to walk down the small trail that lead deeper into the woods. The sun that hung high and bright above was showing in various places through the canopy of the taller trees. Ryan trailed further, hearing nothing else but soft chirping and his sneakers crushing the sticks on the ground. A particular spot caught his eye, one that the light shone down on and made it seem like the most important part of the forest. It seemed enchanting to him. 

  Stopping in the middle of it, he took a seat and let the sun send warmth through his body. Ryan closed his eyes for a moment. Sometimes when he was out in the woods, he'd recall memories of Susan when they would go on hikes. It was one of the rare occasions that Ryan felt happy.  

  A small noise made him reopen his eyes and look around. Soon he noticed a particularly thick stick had landed in front of him. Picking it up, he studied it. He could have sworn that the branch hadn't been there when he sat down. Suddenly he heard a heavy breathing sound and the patter of footsteps. Looking behind him, a large and scruffy dog was chasing toward him, his tongue flopping everywhere. At first Ryan was shocked, and almost fell back when the dog reached for the stick with his mouth.  

  "Trevor? Trevor? Did you find the stick yet?!" Ryan heard a human voice call. The white dog wagged his tail excitedly and looked behind Ryan. Turning around, Ryan saw what he figured to be his owner.  

  It was a girl that looked about Ryan's age. She had a short sleeved pink shirt under jean overalls. Her blonde hair hung in braids on opposite sides of her head, and her eyes sparkled green in the sunlight. 

  "Trevor! Are you attacking this poor boy?" she smiled, walking closer to her pet and taking the stick from him. "At least you got the stick," she scruffed up his fur. "Good boy." 

  Feeling awkward, Ryan shifted a little and stood up. "Hi." he said quietly. 

 At that the girl stood back up and tilted her head at him. "I'm sorry if Trevor scared you. But don't worry, he'd never hurt a fly, the little thing." Ryan almost laughed. Her dog was anything but little.  

 She looked at him again and tilted her head. "I've never seen you around here before. What's your name?" 

 "Ryan," he stuttered back nervously. He had never really talked to another girl his age before. 

 "Are you new here?" she asked him. Ryan gave a simple nod in reply. 

 "Figured as much. I would have noticed you if you weren't. I always come back here, Trevor here likes running through these parts." As if on cue, Trevor barked happily, tongue still drooping down. 

 "That, and I like this spot in particular. It feels.." she paused, as if looking for a word. "Magical." she decided. 

 Ryan managed a small smile in agreement. The girl walked closer, and offered her small hand. "I'm Taryn. Nice to meet you." He took her hand in his and they shook softly. 

 "Do you want to go on a walk with us? Trevor definitely isn't tired out yet." Taryn insisted excitedly. 

 Ryan was taken by surprise. "I don't know if I should..." he muttered, looking down at the ground.  

 "Oh, come on, it'll be fun. And you look like you could use a friend." 

 Chewing his lip nervously, he pondered for a few moments before saying "Okay, fine." 

 "Good! Come on!" at that Taryn took his hand and ran, her dog following close behind them. "I'll even let you throw Trevor's stick, he'll love you forever." 

 Ryan stifled a smile, and felt the blush through his cheeks from her hand against his. 

______________

I can't promise next time will be soon, but I can promise there will be a next time. thanks for reading.