Epilogue

[a cuspide corona]

As the sun set over New Rome, everyone within the city and the camp stood in the Forum. People watched from balconies, on the steps of shops and houses, from just about any vantage point that one could find. For most of the valley's inhabitants, they'd chosen to stand in the massive crowd at the foot of the newly restored Senate House, which had been decked out in banners of violet and gold, celebrating the coronation of a new praetor and a new dawn for halfbloods everywhere.

Tessa stood at the front of the crowd, alongside her friends. Members of the three task-forces, from Tessa's original one, to the Regiment's rogue force, to Madi and Ben's Greek defense squad stood in the crowd, eager to watch the ceremony. Tessa and many of her friends hadn't seen the Roman camp in eleven days, and while memories of the past few weeks surfaced as she stood in the refurbished city, she forced them aside. Today was a day of happiness, of rejoice, of rebirth. Even the shadows of the past can't compare to the dawn of the future.

Mark, standing beside Tessa, elbowed her to snag her attention. "How do you think he's feeling?" He glanced at her with an impish look.

Tessa fought a laugh. If she knew Kaden, he'd be cool and levelheaded on the outside, but a ball of nervous energy within. "Guess we'll find out."

"Five bucks says he trips on his toga," Dale chimed from behind them. The daughter of Demeter had braided her hair into a crown of its own atop her head, and similarly to the rest of the group, had dressed up for the occasion.

Reese snorted from Tessa's other side. "It's Kaden, of course he'll do something embarrassing."

Tessa grinned at the son of Apollo. Despite the tragedy of what had happened not even two weeks ago, he seemed to be recuperating. He smiled more, he seemed more like himself, and while Tessa understood that he'd never be the same, she knew that Reese was bound to be himself in no time.

"I don't know," Imogen drawled from Reese's other side. "Gray seems pretty chill."

A moment passed, before Tessa, Mark, Dale, and Reese burst into laughter. Imogen cracked a smile and rolled her eyes, but before she could continue with the camaraderie, the sound of a fanfare filled the air.

Tessa averted her gaze to the Senate House, and watched as the procession began. Various senators and Lares filed out of the immaculate building, taking their seats and stances along the pillars and walls outside. Following them was Luci, donning shimmering blue and gold robes and an intricate veil dotted with stars. The augur carried a violet and gold pillow, atop which sat a golden laurel wreath. And after Luci came Kaya, dressed in a flowing violet gown that was cinched closed with a golden belt. Her officer's cloak was draped across her shoulders, and as she reached the front of the platform, she stepped aside.

And then Kaden emerged from the open doors, a sheepish smile on his face as the crowd began to roar. Here was their hero, the son of Venus who had returned at long last to defend the city from the drakon of Orion's encampment. Like always, Kaden had dressed sharply for the occasion; a button-up and slacks were beneath the violet toga he wore, and Tessa could see from her spot in the crowd that he was beaming by the time he reached the front of the platform.

The ceremony began, and Tessa tried to follow along, but half of it was said in Latin by some of the senators and Lares. There was a moment of silence for the fallen of the two battles against the Regiment, including Alex Devan, former praetor. However, joy filled the ceremony, and somewhere in Elysium, Tessa knew that Alex would be proud of the son of Venus being coronated. She watched eagerly as Kaden had various blessings and medals bestowed upon him, and all the while she gripped the pendant of the necklace he had given her all those weeks ago, a symbol of how far they'd come.