Chapter 31

"And she told you nothing else?" Harry asked with a frown.

"Harry, we've been through this." Hermione sighed, taking a seat beside the dark haired boy. "No one knows anything."

"Well that just convenient." He huffed as the curly haired witch rested her head on his shoulder.

"Isn't it just." She said quietly, closing her eyes with an exhausted sigh.

"No seriously, 'Mione." Harry jumped off the sofa, allowing Hermione's head to hit the back of the seat. "Consider it."

The young witch sat up straight and shook her head tiredly. "Harry..."

"Hermione, please, just hear me out." He turned to his friend with pleading eyes.

"Harry, please." She begged, shaking her head and sitting up straighter. "There's nothing you can say that will make this better."

The boy sighed as he sat back down beside her. He took hold of her hand and smiled weakly. "It is a little odd."

"I know."

"But what if it was a set up?" The Boy Who Lived suggested calmly, causing Hermione to turn and look at him.

"What are you implying?" She frowned, tilting her head slightly.

"Well, no one knows how long Lucius has actually been out of Askaban, right?" Harry said, caution filling his voice.

"Yeah, so?"

"So what if Lucius has been out of Askaban for long enough to work out where Draco was."

"Harry, please tell me you're not saying..." The curly haired witch began.

The dark haired boy sighed reluctantly as he continued speaking.
"What if Lucius and the other Death-Eaters have been at St. Mungo's since Draco got there and had been waiting for the right time to take him?"

"Which would explain why his state wasn't improving." Hermione nodded, finally understanding what her friend was saying. "Because they were tampering with his recovery?"

"Maybe."

The two of them fell silent, neither of them wanting to elaborate on the idea. The Head Prefect Common Room was still, apart from the blazing flames in the fireplace. Hermione rested her head on Harry's shoulder with a sigh.

"Please don't bring it up again." She begged, closing her eyes and willing herself not to cry. "It's hard enough knowing he's not here."

"Hermione, everything is going to be okay." Harry said encouragingly. "I promise."

The curly haired girl shook her head slightly. "Don't make promises you can't keep, Harry."

They spent a few more minutes sat on the sofa in front of the fire before Hermione decided to go to bed. She said goodnight to the dark haired boy as she shut herself in the bathroom.

As she was brushing her teeth, the curly haired girl noticed something strange in the room. Draco's bedroom door was open slightly. She frowned and turned off the tap, putting her toothbrush away in the cubord under the sink.

When she stood up again, she caught sight of herself in the mirror. For a moment - everything seemed normal, but the closer she looked the more she realised something was wrong. Someone was standing behind her!

Hermione held her breath and watched as the shadow behind her stepped into the light, making her wish they hadn't bothered. The sight caused the brunette to gasp in horror as Lucius Malfoy stepped into view behind her, his wicked grin plastered over his crooked face.

"Poor little Mudblood." He sneered followed by his deranged chuckle as he backed Hermione into a corner. "You don't get it do you?"

"W- what?" The young witch stammered, her frown replaced by sheer fear.

"Draco doesn't love you. I mean, why would he love a pathetic Mudblood like you?" The older man questioned sarcastically.

"Y- you're not here. You can't be!" Hermione exclaimed, her voice wavering with every word.

"Quite right, Mudblood. I'm not actually here. However, my son is - and I can't wait to see how you adjust to his... recovery."

Within seconds Lucius was enveloped in black smoke as he vanished from sight, leaving a rather frightened Hermione cowering in the corner of the bathroom.

Was he lying? Was Draco really here? She didn't know and she had no intentions of finding out on her own. No way in hell! So the brunette rushed out of the Common Room and towards the Dungeons, in search of the one person she knew would want answers as much as she did - Blaise Zabini.