Prologue

Popularity War

Book 2

Prologue

Deep within the walls of the castle, a Shade by the name of Durza walked along the halls for the throne room. King Galbatorix wanted an audience with him, a sure sign that the King was upset. The poorly lit and drafty castle would have sent a chill down his spine if he were still human.

 He remembered the day he turned into a Shade; his mentor, Haeg, was murdered by bandits. Back then, his name was Carsaib and he had summoned spirits to avenge Haeg, but the spirits were too strong and took over his body, creating a Shade. He was re-named Durza and had no choice but to live out the rest of his life possessed by the demonic spirits. He hated who he had become at first, but over time, he had accepted who he was and took pleasure in tormenting others. In his heart, he served no one but himself, despite the work he did for the king.

Durza did not mind at the moment. He was practically the Kings right hand man, a position he dare not complain about, even when Galbatorix was upset with him. He knew no one else could fill his place, so he ended up getting away with his mistakes, though not without some pain inflicted upon him. He was not looking forward to that, however, he did have news that may spare him from that fate.

As he turned a corner, the throne room doors could be seen. Two men stood guard by them. They wore armor with the Kings insignia on the breast plate and held spears. At their waist, they also had a sword. To Durza, they looked pitiful. He knew that if they were to attack him, he could dispose of them with a single word. When the Shade was close enough to the doors, the guards opened them.

The throne room stretched before him, stone pillars, three on each side, stood at regular twenty foot intervals. In between the pillars were long rectangular stained glass windows which let in multi-colored light to shine upon the stone floor. A crimson rug ran from the entrance of the room to the golden chair at the other side where the King sat waiting for his guest.

King Galbatorix was fierce in both looks and temperament. He did not yell, however, he would talk in a cold, menacing tone when he was upset. His green eyes shone through the darkness like a green fire as they gazed at Durza. Galbatorix’s face was clean shaven, the sharp angles of his jaw piercing the air. His skin was lightly tanned and he had raven black hair that went down to his shoulders. “There you are Durza. I have been kept waiting.” Galbatorix’s voice was stentorian, making it known to his guest that he was in an ill mood.

“My apologies, your majesty.” Durza replied with a modulated tone. He finished his approach and kneeled.

Galbatorix grunted and gestured for the Shade to stand back up. “I’ve heard that you have been unsuccessful in catching this new Rider.”

“You have heard correctly. The farm boy is a slippery one, but rest assured that I will capture him and bring him to you.”

 “Really? How do you plan on accomplishing this?”

“I’ve got some news that may interest you.” Durza said, instead of answering the kings question directly.

The King raised an eyebrow. ”Do you now?”

“Aye.” He paused for a moment and then announced, “I have learned where the farm boy is from.”

Galbatorix let loose his breath and bellowed, “And this news will help us? How?”

“It will when I tell you that the boy is from Carvahall.”

Instantly, the Kings lips formed a small sly smile. “This is excellent news. I am impressed, Durza.”

Durza bowed his head, proud of his news network. “Does this mean you will give me another chance?”

“It does,” Galbatorix replied without hesitation. “However, it is not as simple as you think. I need to punish you for failing me the first time, and I want you implement a plan I have just come up with. Do you understand?”

Durza howled and shook his head as a stinging pain coursed through his body, immobilizing him.

“Next time, I will not be as lenient. Now, send word to have Lady Eva Whikim join me here at court.”

~*~

Miles away, a woman with wild curly brown hair crossed her arms as her golden eyes stared at Eva. On the floor, a black cat-looking creature sat licking his paws. An entire minute almost passed before the woman exhaled loudly and exclaimed, “Fine, you can leave early!”

Eva shrieked, “Oh thank you, Angela!”

Angela rolled her eyes at the young woman’s enthusiasm. “Did you think I would stop you? Go! Shoo!”

Without hesitating, Eva lifted up her skirts and dashed out of the little shop, glad that her employer let her off work. The chill had left the air as the Spring sun shone upon her back while she ran. As usual, the city streets were packed, so she had to weasel her way around as if she were in a maze. By the time she arrived at her uncles house, her skin sparked in sweat and she was heaving. A manservant opened the door for her and she slowly walked inside, the shade instantly cooling her hot body. When she had calmed her breathing, she sprinted up the stairs and into her room where she changed out of her sweaty clothes and grabbed her leather travel box.

By evening, she felt satisfied that she had everything packed for her trip back to Carvahall.