Chapter 16: Winter Decides to Have a Party

Start from the beginning

My eyes met her's. "I'm not telling you what happened last year. You're doing this for yourself, not me. I'm not the same girl as I was last year, and I'm proud of that," I stated and stood up from our spot in the cafeteria. Taylor went to respond with an apologetic look, but I marched off before she could say one word.

"Winter!" I heard once I exited the suffocating room. It was Penny, and so I let my guard down. My eyes wandered and I saw her standing outside the hall in middle of the court yard.

"Hey Penny." I smiled and walked to see her standing with Naija. She smiled and waved politely; Penny gave me a hug.

"I've been trying to talk to Jace," she whispered in the hug before letting me go with a soft smile.

"Me too."

"He won't even budge. The door to his room has been locked all weekend, and even in class when I see him he manages to get around the subject of you." Penny stood and rubbed her hands together. I could tell she truly felt bad about the situation, and so did I. When I kissed Jace, I thought I had him. I thought he was mine. The reason for kissing him was bad, but it wasn't once our lips locked.

"Jace is the boy with blonde hair, right? Blue eyes?" Naija piped in. Her voice quiet with wandering eyes.

"Yeah." I nodded.

"He's in my trig class," she said. "He sits next to me." She shrugged and tried to comfort me with a sad smile. "He hasn't been talking a lot lately, but I'm sure it's nothing."

"Yeah." I nodded again. "I'm sure."

"Hey, Jace isn't like Austin," Penny comforted. "Jace and I have been friends since ninth grade. I know him. He's just in a funk right now. It'll pass." Her hand laid on my shoulder and I shrugged her off, not wanting any pity.

"I know Jace as well," I said far too snappy than I expected. Sighing, I stepped back and closed my eyes. Honestly, the entire thing with Jace made me confused. I didn't understand. What was wrong? Why wouldn't he talk to me? Was I really so awful when I walked out of that bathroom?

"I know you do," Penny said.

"Did I really look so bad when I walked out of the bathroom?" I asked, desperately trying to understand.

Naija shuttered and looked away, giving me my answer. Penny frowned and grabbed my hand. "You looked like you were back in freshman year," she admitted. "You looked as if you would do anything to climb back to the top." Penny shut her eyes and sucked in her breath. Slowly, she shook her head.

"What?"

"You looked like you were determined to make a point, and Jace was that point," she murmured with a halfhearted smile.

I was trying to make a point, but didn't Jace understand the pressure I was under? He told me before the dance that he knew what I needed and would help me through my hardship, but he was what I needed, and now he was gone. He separated himself from me, taking away the safe house I had created around him. Now, I was back to looking at Taylor for my comfort and feeding off of the power that I had once felt. Jace made me return to the past. If he let me, I would never leave his side. But he chose to push me away because of the face I made. And now, we were once again strangers with only soft kisses to remember.

"Don't look so defeated," Penny said and squeezed my hand. "He'll talk to you. I know it."

"Maybe I'll try to talk to him in trig," Naija suggested, trying to find a place in the friendship Penny and I had made.

"Thanks Naija." I smiled and turned back to Penny. "I really do cherish our friendship, Penny." I shook my head. "I don't know how I got through high school without you."

"Well." Penny shrugged and looked away. "You tortured me like everyone else. That's how." She quickly laughed, suggesting it was a joke.

"I'm sorry," I whispered and pulled her in for a hug. For years, I had been awful to her and picking on her and Winston. In reality, they weren't even dating and Penny liked girls. I was horrible, and coming back to Brinston made me realize how bad of a person I actually was before my breakdown.

"It's okay, really," Penny replied and patted my back.

"You didn't deserve what I put you through," I admitted into her shoulder and gave her a harder squeeze.

"Winter, I told you before. I forgive you."

I smiled, happy to hear her say that and pulled away. Trying to brighten the mood, I looked at the couple. "I'm throwing a party this weekend," I announced with a beaming smile and put both hands on my hips. My chest puffed out and I made sure to hold my head taller, not wanting to look weak. "You guys must come."

Penny laughed with wide eyes and practically folded over. Naija giggled to herself but tried to hold it in more with her hand, but it didn't last long. Both of them ended up in full fits of laughter on the ground.

"What?" I demanded and began tapping my toe. When they didn't answer, my eyebrows pinched together. "Seriously guys!"

"Us!" Penny gasped and pointed at Naija and herself. "Go to a party?" She shook her head, standing up straight, but still laughed. "We don't go to parties."

"Never." Naija shook her head with a small smile. Her eyes flickered to Penny and began laughing even more.

"I'm inviting you!" I protested. "That means you must go."

Penny stopped laughing at my raised voice and covered her mouth. Her eyes went wide. "You seriously want us at a party?" When I didn't say anything, Penny understood that I was deathly serious. "Really?" I nodded with a firm look, summoning old Winter's glare. Penny shook her head. "I can't believe that you actually are inviting us."

"I've never been to a party," Naija whispered and met my eyes. "Like, an actual party," she explained.

"Well now you're both coming," I announced.

"I'm not good at parties." Penny shook her head and bit down on her lip. Naija shook her head as well. She wasn't one for many words.

"You'll be great." I smiled. "We'll have so much fun!" Being the typical girl, I squealed and began to bounce. But quickly, I stopped. Jumping up and down was not who I was. Old Winter nor New Winter did that.

"I can't believe that Winter Ozlin is making me go to a party. Her own party, no less." Penny laughed to herself with a shaken head.

"Well believe it, because both of you better be the first to arrive." I smiled at them both and winked before whipping around and strutting away. New Winter was fierce, but she was kind to others, and I had to remember that.

New Winter was making an appearance, and I was not letting her down.

Hey ya'll! I hope you enjoyed the chapter!!

Vote/Comment if you liked it!!

Lots of Love

- Sarah XO