Setting The Wolf Free - Ch 56

Start from the beginning

“Alright, well” Yamato says, changing the subject, “Who shall I take along with me?”

“Take Sai” Tsunade instructs, pursing her lips a little in thought. “He can scan for Team Kakashi and the enemy from the sky, so he’ll be quite useful on your mission. And you should take Sakura as well. Her skilful use of Medical Ninjutsu will prove useful too, especially if any members of Team Kakashi are injured.”

“Sakura is running an errand for you right now Lady Tsunade” Shizune reminds the blonde woman. “She probably won’t be back until dawn.”

“Very well” Tsunade sighs. “As soon as Sakura returns, you are to head out.”

“Understood Milady” Yamato replies dutifully. “What about Naruto though? Seeing as Orochimaru is involved in this, should I bring him along as we-”

“Naruto is to know nothing about this mission” Tsunade interrupts hotly, leaning forwards in her seat. “As soon as he hears that this mission has to do with Orochimaru, he’ll think of Sasuke and do something reckless…..So I don’t want him hearing a single word!”

Rain pours heavily from the ominously dark sky, with nasty looking black clouds filling it and blocking out any possible view of the stars.

Being sure to step lightly, a drenched Hinata skips down from a high mound of vine covered boulders and ducks into the hollowed out entrance of an exceptionally large tree. Once inside, she glances up at the man waiting inside, while brushing some wet hair from her eyes.

“So” Kakashi begins, hands in his pockets, “How’d you go out there?”

“I’m afraid I wasn’t able to find anything” Hinata replies, sounding a little disappointed. “No leads, no trails…..Nothing.”

“Same here unfortunately” another voice adds roughly, making Kakashi and Hinata look over at the entrance. They are greeted by the sight of a rain soaked Kiba and Akamaru, with the large, white Ninken shaking himself vigorously to rid his coat of water. It wasn’t nice to walk around with water clogged fur. It made Akamaru feel heavy and slow….Not to mention cold.

“There’s not a whole lot we can do in weather like this” Kiba continues, running one hand through his messy, wet hair and sighing, while motioning towards the rain outside. “Rain like that makes it practically impossible to pick up a scent…..I won’t be surprised if any traces of the enemy’s scent are completely washed away by the time this rain eases up.”

“…..Not what I was hoping for…” Kakashi sighs wearily, watching an irritated Kiba as a few drops of water fall from the ceiling and land on the brunette’s head.

“See?” Kiba growls, jabbing his hand in an upwards motion. “Even the Bats are taking shelter from this crap weather……”

As soon as the words leave his mouth, the annoyed look slowly drops from Kiba’s face, his eyes beginning to widen with realisation. How could he have not thought of it before?!
“The Bats!” Kiba suddenly exclaims, making Hinata jump with fright. Momentarily placing a hand over her heart, Hinata turns around to face Kakashi, her eyes filled with determination.

“I’ll go back out and keep looking” she decides, only for Kiba to hold up his hand and stop the female Hyuga.

“Hold it” Kiba orders, his eyes narrowing up at the small, brown creature hanging upside down from the ceiling. “Don’t go anywhere…..”

“Huh?” Hinata asks, tilting her head.

“Why not?” Kakashi questions, following Kiba’s lead to glance up at the roof. “What’s up Kiba?”