#20 Ramadan Ashiana Style

Start from the beginning

"You adults are really staying quiet as these idiots continue their narrow minded discussion?" I asked.

Dadi looked at me reproachfully for the way I spoke, but she made no other comment. Dad, Chachu, Irfan Phuppa and Shoaib bhai stopped their discussion just then and even the ladies paused as they were serving tea.

"I am sorry beta, but what were these 'idiots' talking about?" Dad finally asked making me groan in frustration and the boys laugh.

"Juni wats to join us as we distribute the kits and we were just saying it is not a good idea," Faiz explained, smirking at me as he did.

I was fuming silently.

"Oh. Well, we have never really taken the girls with us before," Dad said scratching his nape.

"Are you sure?" Dadi finally spoke up.

Dadi looked amused while both my Phuppis gave Dad the stink eye. Even Chachu looked at loss for words. Dad and Chachu stared at each other, bewildered. Suddenly the spotlight was on them and I knew they were done for.

"These kids take after their Khalu's. And they don't even remember!" Sumi Phuppi commented.

"Yeah and look at Javed bhai and Dawud bhai, sitting oh so innocently. Did you both forget the beating you got from Abba for teasing us just like this?" Razi Phuppi added and the two sisters shared a laugh.

Dadi was watching the whole thing unfold with a smile on her face.

Dad and Chachu suddenly turned pale as they remembered what Phuppi was talking about. And they both hung their heads down, completely embarrassed. It was hilarious really. Both my Phuppis were giggling while the rest of us looked on.

"What actually happened?" Mom prompted.

Some how they managed to tell us the story in between their laughter. When they were younger, all of them in their teens and pre teens, preparations were going on for Ramadan. All four of them actively helped Dadi and the ayahs to pack up the kits and label them. They were all pretty enthusiastic about distributing it. Dad and Chachu were hell bent on not taking the girls with though. They were so busy taunting the girls that they didn't notice that Dada Ji was standing behind them and listening to the whole thing. When they realized why the girls were looking so smug it was too late. Dada ji had apparently chased the two of them around the house with his stick and not just that, he excluded both of them and took the girls along with him to distribute everything.

By the time Razi Phuppi was done speaking, we were all in stitches. I gasped and clutched my side as I tried to control myself. Dad's face was not helping my case one bit. Even baby Jaad was bubbling with mirth. Samar and Faiz looked like they wanted to run away.

"Phuppi! I didn't know Abba had such embarrassing moments in his youth. Tell us some more stories!" Shoaib bhai prompted in between bouts of laughter.

"Later," Sumi Phuppi said winking.

"Sumaiyya don't you dare!" Chachu warned.

Phuppi just giggled and left to bring snacks.

"You're right Juni. These two are idiots, because of them our stupid incident is out in the open," Chachu groaned making us laugh even more.

Samar and Faiz feigned offence.

"How dare you Khalu! And to think I called you my favorite Khalu… not anymore." Faiz stated.

Samar nodded in agreement. Chachu looked like he wanted to dig a hole and bury himself in it. Samar and Faiz cracked up and Shoaib bhai joined them. And Dadi, she was just smiling and watching us poke fun at each other. Even the ayahs were smiling and joining us in our happiness. The older ones even reminisced all the mischief Dad and Chachu used to get up to.