Chapter 16

Over a week later, on Saturday morning, there was a knock on the front door just as she was preparing to leave for the graduation ceremony. She was wearing a lovely amethyst colored wool dress and black knee high boots. Her hair was down and she had even attempted some light makeup for the occasion. She and Blanche had gone shopping the day before, when Kellan had given them the all clear, and bought her a few outfits for work as well.

They had also moved all of her things to Blanche's little house which was not far from Kellan's. It had not taken long since everything she owned fit into a few boxes.

When she opened the door there was a woman standing there in a crisp business suit, her dark hair was trimmed into a bob cut and her bangs fell in an ordered line across her forehead. Her eyes were very familiar. They were a mossy green.

Kellan didn't say his sister would be knocking on the door, only that she would be putting a sign up in the yard. Charlie stood back and allowed her to enter the house.

"So, you know who I am?" her voice was strong like Kellan's. She took her time looking around the room as if to make sure everything was still in its place.

"I know you're Kellan's sister but I don't know your name."

"It's Fay, What's yours?"

"Charlie."

Fay looked less than impressed.

The dogs came into the room from the hallway where they had been waiting. When they saw her they didn't even try to greet her.

"Well, I suppose I owe you for taking those two." She looked at the dogs with distain.

Charlie remained silent.

"I'm surprised. You're not at all his usual type." The woman walked around the room running her hands along the furniture as if she was checking for dust. "Where is Kellan?"

"I have no idea, he was gone when I woke up this morning."

"That sounds like him. Be sure to take only what is yours when you leave. I will be selling the house furnished."

Charlie had to mask her surprise at that. What kind of woman did Kellan generally go for? Did they steal furniture?

"Even the dogs?" There was that little devil again.

"No, you can have them. They're useless."

Athena choose that moment to fart, a very loud and long winded one that had some force behind it. Her eyes were glued to Fay the entire time. Charlie bit her lip and ignored the dog's little display of petulance.

"He won't keep you and he won't come back to you," Fay said heartlessly.

"I'm aware. But he gave me his dogs so that's something."

"As long as you're out by Monday. I am showing the house starting then."

"I'll be gone." Charlie did her best to keep her voice strong as Fay watched her looking for weakness. If she found it Charlie didn't doubt for a moment that she would pounce on it and attack. It seemed Kellan had his own challenges growing up.

"You're in love with him aren't you?"

Charlie stopped at the thought. Was she in love with him? Is that what she was feeling? Funny, she had always thought that when she fell in love it would be quick and fast not a gradual feeling of friendship and respect.

"It's those looks of his, they get him into more trouble. His wife was trouble too."

Charlie did her best to hide her look of surprise but she must not have been quick enough because Fay jumped.