23. We Are Endless

Austin, Texas

Jared pushed his sunglasses up through his hair as his beard was getting thicker by the days. "Lord, I need to shave this."

"You kinda do." I said fixing my bathing suit top as Jared sat back in the driver's seat.

Jared cracked a smile at me, "So what are we gonna do tonight?"

"I was hoping for something calm and chilled out."

Jared shook his head back at me, "How about we talk about what is going on with you?"

"How about we don't."

"Christienne, come on."

"Listen, you can't hide from it."

"I am." I said back to him.

"Come on, you can't do this to him."

"You know he wants me dead, right?"

Jared flipped his baseball hat around with a smile on his lips, "How about we head back to the house and start cooking?"

I nodded my head as the boat took off.

Jared pushed the back door open as I walked up the back yard fixing the bag on my shoulder. I glanced up to the house as I saw the headlights coming down the dirt road to the house. I narrowed my eyes as the car slowed down.

I picked up my pace as I ran up to the house as I saw Jared standing by the stove starting on his homemade BBQ sauce.

The front door bell rung as Jared turned and went toward the door.

I stepped closer to the back door as Jared tossed the front door open.

My eyes got wide as there was Jared falling backwards with two bullet holes in his head. I covered my mouth as he walked into the house.

I shook my head as I walked backwards away from the house.

His eyes darted up as they met mine.

I was pulled to the side as bullets broke the back windows.

I looked up as there stood Emma over me, "What are you doing here?"

"I came to check on you and I stumbled across them." Emma said back to me as we ran around the side of the house.

Emma glanced back at me, "You know I thought this was over but maybe not."

"I killed his father, why would it be over!" I shouted back at her as we slammed into the side of a car.

Emma nodded her head back at me, "I know it has been rough but maybe see me out."

"See what out?"

Emma pulled her phone out and showed me the article.

"What is that?"

"Reality."

I narrowed my eyes at her, "An entire town was killed?"

"Yea, and no one has pointed it out." Emma said back to me as she unlocked the car.

"I don't get it."

"I know, we can't hang out here much." Emma tossed a shirt over to me as she climbed into the car. "We really don't need them cornering us."

I pulled the shirt over my head as I saw a scar down Emma's arm, "When did you get that?"

Emma glanced down at the scar on her arm then back at me confused, "You were there when I got this."

"What?" I rubbed the back of my head trying to remember when she got that scar.

"You ok?" Emma asked turning onto the main road.

"I'm not so sure. I mean Jared was just killed in front of me."

"What?"

"You know, they just killed Jared."

"I'm a little lost here. Who is Jared?"

"Jared, our friend. The guy you like." I said back to her.

"I don't get what is wrong with you right now."

"What's wrong with me, I'm fine."

"You are talking about some random dude named Jared and how you don't remember how I got the scar on my arm."

"I don't remember that day!"

"It's kinda hard to forget that day man, I mean we were trapped in a fucking barn!"

"Barn?"

"Yes, the barn in upper state New York."

"We never did a job up there?"

"Job? What job, we were there for something else..."

"Emma..."

"Who is Emma?"

"Emma, the road..."

"What?"

"Emma, WATCH THE ROAD!" I put my arms up to cover my face as the headlights got brighter as something hard slammed into my chest.

d_N>vҤ8ܾ