Chapter Nine

6:05 a.m.

Joint Counter-TerrorismCommandCenter - Midtown Manhattan

"Luke, the best thing to do is get your people together and go back to Washington," the man in the suit said.

Luke stood inside the swirling chaos of the command center's main room. It was already daytime, and weak light filtered in from windows two stories above the working floor. Time was passing too quickly, and the command center was a clusterfuck in progress.

Two hundred people filled the space. There were at least forty workstations, some of them with two or three people sitting at five computer screens. On the big board up front, there were twenty different television and computer screens. Screens showed digital maps of Manhattan, the Bronx, Brooklyn, live video streams of the entrances to the Holland and Lincoln Tunnels, mug shots of Arab terrorists known to be in the country.

Three of the screens currently showed Mayor DeAngelo, at six-foot-three dwarfing the aides that flanked him, standing at the microphone and telling the brave people of New York to stay home and hug their kids. He was reading from prepared remarks.

"In a worst-case scenario," the mayor said, his voice coming from speakers located around the room, "the initial explosion would kill many people and create mass panic in the immediate area. Radiation exposure would cause widespread terror throughout the region and probably the country. Many people exposed in the initial attack would become sick, and some would die. The clean-up costs would be enormous, but they would be dwarfed by the psychological and economic costs. A dirty bomb attack on a major train station in New York City would cripple transportation along the Eastern seaboard for the foreseeable future."

"Pleasant," Luke said. "I wonder who writes his material."

He scanned the room. Everyone was represented here, everyone jockeying for position. It was alphabet soup. NYPD, FBI, NSA, ATF, DEP, even CIA. Hell, the DEA was here. Luke wasn't sure how stealing radioactive waste constituted a drug crime.

Ed Newsam had gone to track down the SRT staff among the crowd.

"Luke, did you hear me?"

Luke turned back to the matter at hand. He was standing with Ron Begley of Homeland Security. Ron was a balding man in his late 50s. He had a large round gut and pudgy little fingers. Luke knew his story. He was a desk jockey, a man who had come up through the government bureaucracy. On September 11, he was at Treasury running a team analyzing tax evasion and Ponzi schemes. He slid over to counter-terrorism when Homeland Security was created. He had never made an arrest, or fired a gun in anger, in his life.

"You said you want me to go home."

"You're stepping on toes here, Luke. Kurt Myerson called his boss at NYPD and told him you were at the hospital treating people like your personal servants. And that you commandeered a SWAT team. Really? A SWAT team? Listen, this is their turf. You're supposed to follow their lead. That's how the game is played."

"Ron, the NYPD called us in. I assume that's because they felt they needed us. People know how we work."

"Cowboys," Begley said. "You work like rodeo cowboys."

"Don Morris got me out of bed to come up here. You can talk to Don..."

Begley shrugged. A ghost of a smile appeared on his face. "Don's been recalled. He caught a chopper out twenty minutes ago. I suggest you do the same."

"What?"

"That's right. He's been kicked upstairs on this one. They called him back to do a situation briefing at the Pentagon. Real high-level stuff. I guess they couldn't get an intern to do it, so they're bringing in Don."