part two: second act

the small intermission

"Is this how you do it?"

"Absolutely not. Go deeper."

"I am going deeper!"

"Okay fine then go outside!"

"I'm getting nothing."

"Come on, Jack! It's so obvious!"

"Why don't you ask Merritt about what he has?"

"Fine. Merritt?"

"Sweetheart, I'm a mentalist."

"Goddamnit! Really Merritt? Really? That doesn't mean you can't deduce something, anything."

"It's hard okay? How about you? You're not very good at mentalism either."

"I'm better than Jack."

"Hey!"

"True..."

"Hey!"

"Sorry man, it can't be helped."

"Not, like you guys are any good at dealing with cards, either."

Merritt, Jack, and Evelynn were all lounging around trying to help each other master one another's skills. Evelynn had been trying to give them tips as to how to analyze something and make their own conclusion. She kept telling Jack to go deeper in his deductions or at least go outside the box. So far Jack is terrible at it. She tried to get them to deduce something from a basket but to no avail. Due to her experience with deductions, she can make very good guesses to trick people into believing that she uses 'mentalism'.

"I'm average, okay?" argued Evelynn.

"Yea sure you are," he responded sarcastically.

"Okay, fight me."

"Really? You want me to fight you? Do you not remember the last time you said that and how it turned out? Do you want a repeat of it?" he asked her, smiling.

Her face started turning an uncomfortable shade of red. "Shut up," she grumbled out, turning to face away from him.

"I am not here to listen to you two flirting."

Jack laughed at him. "Deal with it, we had to endure it when Henley was still here."

The room fell silent at that statement. They were pretty sore about the subject. Henley left only a few months ago but the effect it had was pretty bad. It probably affected Evelynn the most, though. She talks about not being attached but she ended up being the one that was the most attached. In the end, she was the most hurt about Henley's decision but she couldn't bring herself to talk about her feelings out loud.

Evelynn faked a clearing his throat, "Anyways, you guys are trash at deductions. Seriously, it should be a crime to not even try."

"Evelynn," Jack whined. "We are trying."

"I have a feeling that's not the first time you've heard him whine your name like that," Merritt commented.

Evelynn's eyes widen and Jack was laughing behind her. "I don't deserve this abuse," she got up and left to her room.

"I don't hear you denying it!" Merritt called out to her.

"Screw off you rat!" she shouted. When she shut the door she could hear both of them laughing.

The truth was that Jack and Evelynn got comfortable with each other. Extremely comfortable, like abnormally comfortable. Evelynn finally realized her feelings for Jack and that the heart skip was definitely not side effects of an adrenaline rush. So, ever since she found out she had become more open with Jack. She had a feeling Jack knew about her sudden findings because he was ten times more flirty than ever. As much as she was confused or excited or whatever she felt, she knew that it didn't matter. Her main priority was the Eye and that'll never change.

All she was waiting for a sign from the Eye, something, that'll get her back out there. Daniel was always out finding clues about the Eye but he couldn't find anything useful.

I suppose those myths were right, Evelynn thought. You can't find the Eye, the Eye will find you. As much as Evelynn hated how cliche that sounded she had to admit it was the truth. So in her room of an abandoned motel, she lied on her bedroom waiting for something to happen.