Chapter 11 ~David~

I look up as we pull in front of the school. The boy that I'm sitting next to is from a different part of ag. I don't really know him, but I check that he is aware that we are at the school anyways. I get my things together and hurry off the bus. Rushing into the school. It's another test day so I wait for Matt by the steps. He's supposed to follow me today, apparently Tom wasn't much help, and tomorrow is the last day of school. Lilly and Julie are just ahead of us as we walk through the front doors of the school.

~
Finished. I put my pencil down after I fill in the last bubble on my chart. No more actual school. Not for another two and a half months.
I sit up and lean back in my desk. Looking around the room I notice most people are still working. My teacher comes and picks up the sheet while I stare at the chalkboard.
Then I get an idea. I pull out my notebook and start to write the next scene in my story. I've been working on it every chance I get lately.
I am a writer. As soon as I graduate high school I'm going to apply for Education's writing courses. They won't start till the fall, but I want to guarantee a spot with the best professors.
~
(Julie)
I put down my pencil and stare around the room. Half the class is done. Fifteen minutes left. The teacher comes and takes my test. I am about to put my head down to make up for lost sleep last night, when I notice David, sitting a few rows up, is writing again. I'm curious. I raise my hand. The teacher is grading papers and takes awhile to notice me.
I quietly ask if I may use the restroom and she nods.
I get up and slowly walk toward the door but I stop for a second to look at David's desk. I see the words, "trouble", "beauty", and then "apple tree". They're not next to each other but that's all I can make out.
~
When I return from the bathroom, I decide to be bold. I walk over to David making sure the teacher can't see and mouth, "may I read that?" pointing at his notebook. He pauses, but then nods and hands me the book. I take it, smile at him, and walk to my seat. Six minutes. I open the book.

At two minutes left, I'm in the second chapter and wondering where he got his great writing skills. It's amazing. When the bell rings, I barely notice, and keep reading.
"Ahem"
I see a shadow looming over me. I look up. It's David.
He looks nervous, and that is not normal. I slowly grab my things and his book and get out of my chair, ignoring him.  The teacher looks at us strangely and I hurry out of the classroom.
He follows closely behind me.
"Julie!" He hisses, I don't answer, "Julie Anne!"
I keep walking and finally he grabs my shoulder and turns me around. Still nervous, but visibly upset, he asks quietly, "How was it?"
I realize he wants to know about the book, and I have an idea.
"I haven't finished it yet." I say. True. But I only have two pages left to read.
"Well. How is it so far?" He asks.
"I really like it! It has a great storyline, but is the girl really supposed to be that mean?" I counter.
"Which one?"
"Bethany."
"Oh. Well, she is kinda supposed to be Blair."
We both let loose loud laughter and then remember we have one more class. We start walking, laughing and talking like old friends. We hurry to class and get there with a few minutes to spare, so I work up my nerve and ask.
"Will you meet me at the hay loft tonight? Where we were last night?"
He stares at me for a moment. Thinking. Then he slowly nods his head.
"What time? And can I get my book back then?"
"Sure. Around eleven. I'll go draw for awhile and wait for you, but if you aren't there by midnight I'll know you aren't coming."
"I'll be there."
~
I wait. I snuck out of the house at ten after eleven and ran out to the barn.
I had found the necklace, barely, and put it on. I had brought my drawing pad back out there so I wouldn't be bored while I waited. As I drew I realized that I am okay with David being the one in the picture. I need his help. I have to find out if my parents are alive. I come up with a plan and fifteen minutes later I hear someone clearing their throat.
~
(David)
The hayloft is silent. Julie stares at me with this look of desperation on her face.
I'm thinking.
If I agree to do what she is asking I won't get to go to register for my fall classes. Scratch that. I might be banned from this sector city, meaning I would never get to go to any writing classes, ever.
I nod.
I know the price it will cost me and I nod.
"Yes. "
Yes, I'm an idiot. Yes, I know that. And yes, I will help her find her parents.
She smiles, and that is  all that I care about for that moment.
~