Chapter 4 ~David~

When the bus is about to pull up in front of the school, I shove my books back into their bag. Then get ready to jump off the bus when the doors are opened. I glance around and almost everyone else is doing the same.
       That's when I notice that Julie is still staring out the window. I see her reflection and can tell she isn't paying attention.
        I hesitate. The bus stops, and she doesn't notice.
        "Hey, Julie," I say trying to get her attention. The doors open. "Julie, hey we're here."
        Nothing.
        Everyone is already up and getting out. I grab her arm at the shoulder, and carefully try to pull her out of her seat. She jerks back, and slaps my face with the back of her hand.
       "Do not touch my shoulder." She says through gritted teeth.
         She picks up her bag, and tries to push past me, so I turn, grab mine, and walk out of the bus. My face burning where she hit me as I walk into the school. After a while the pain leaves but it still feels hot, and I realize the heat isn't from pain, but anger.
        I just let a girl slap my face for helping her out. That shouldn't have happened, and I will get back at her.
                          ~
       My first period class is biology. I finish the test and know I didn't do well. I knew maybe three of the main bones in a frog's skeleton and have forgotten half the fungi in the text. 

I normally have study hall my second period, but today they are giving extra time for tests, so that class will not meet. The second period for today is English, and I am even less confident about that than I am about biology.

         When I get to the door I realize there are some girls behind me, so I hold it open for them. The last one turns to say something me, and her words catch in her throat. It's Julie. She ducks her head and hurries in attempting to avoid all contact with me.
         I walk to my seat right in front of Blair and Jenny Kay, with Matt next to me. As I start sit I feel Blair's eyes on me and stiffen a little. I wouldn't normally mind a girl checking me out, but this is Blair we are talking about. If she sees something she wants she normally gets it. And I don't want to be something she wants, so I wipe my nose on my sleeve and cough loudly. She looks away.
         I sit down and realize I'm behind Julie and Lilly. I guess they picked Julie for Lilly to stay with for the day. That means she will also be in most of my classes. Matt is with Henry but I guess there wasn't room for him where Henry was this period. 
        The teacher, Miss Jackson, walks in and everyone looks forward.
       "Good morning, class!" She says as she pulls out her chair. We all respond with "Hi" or "Good morning" and she continues, "Today as you know is testing day. We are glad to have Miss Lilly Parker and Mr. Louis Parker here at school with us today. I trust that everyone will give them a warm welcome, as they are not as used to the school as you all are."
       Everyone responds with "yes ma'am" or "Okay." and Miss Jackson passes out the tests.