Chapter 27: Getting Dirty

Start from the beginning

"Please sit, Mr. Mailov," she stretches her hand towards the long gray couch and he did. "Anything to drink?" she asked, her tone softening a bit maybe out of politeness.

"No, thank you!" Zandros responded briefly. He just wants to talk to her about Tara and who Taryn's father is. He wants to know the truth.

"Sit down, Ms. Asker! I just want to ask few things," Zandros pointed on the empty spot close to him. Tamara awkwardly nodded her head as she shuffled closer to him and sat on the couch one seat apart. Zander propped his elbows on his knees, leaning in a bit, his eyes trained on her, eyeing her intently.

"Who is Taryn's father?" he didn't like going around the bush. Tamara's eyes suddenly avoided his gaze and he knew that reaction. His heart pumped furiously against his ribcage. Fear now settling in his heart. Fear for his wife.

"Tell me straight, Ms. Asker. You know I can pay someone to dig more information and you will never like what will gonna happen to you and to Taryn. I can bring you both down!" I grit out in a low menacing tone. She shifted apprehensively and her eyes snapped up to meet his. She looks like she's about to cry but she masked it well.

She let out a deep breath and then spoke softly, almost inaudible. "Taryn was the result of your one night stand with my sister," she finally said and he felt like all his blood were drained off. He was silent for a while, lost in his thoughts. Tamara Asker was just watching him. She felt guilty and at the same time, angry at him. Her sister loved him since they were in high school, so when an opportunity crosses her path, she didn't think twice to grab it. She lost her virginity to him, and she didn't think of the consequences. She was too naive that she thought, giving her virginity to him would make him fall for her.

"Where is Taryn?" Zandros pulled her out of her train of thoughts.

"He's at work," she replied shortly.

Zandros heaved another lungful of sigh. "Why did she resign?" he asked.

Tamara shifted his body and sat straight, looking everywhere but not his piercing eyes. "She was exhausted and she just wants to be with her son," Tamara responded curtly, pain is starting to eat her whole system.

"What did she do after then?" Tamara faces Zandros and he was looking gloomy.

"She lives with my mother's mother in Mexico together with Taryn after that and then they only came back when he was five. She then started to teach in University b-before s-she ..." Tamara inhaled deeply then release it. "Before she," looking into Zandros' eyes, "she overdosed herself with sleeping pills. Taryn found her lifeless in her bed the next morning," A lone tear escapes Tamara's eyes and Zandros look away, nodding his head.

"I'm sorry," he mumbled but clear enough for her grasp.

"One more thing," Zandros stared at her closely. "Why did she registered him when he was five?"

Tamara suddenly felt unease. "I-" she looks away and inhaled sharply. "I d-don't know," she sighed.

Zandros shot her a suspicious stare. "Are you sure?" he pressed.

Tamara slowly shifted her gaze to him. "I was surprised, too, when I found out Taryn wasn't registered. If he didn't go to school, she would have forgotten it to register him. She was too busy trying to work and to take care of him. I wasn't with her, that's why I don't know what happened during that years," she sighed and Zandros felt genuine in her voice. He nodded and contemplated for a moment before he decided to leave.

Just as Zandros slowly rising, his phone rang. He excused himself as he pulled the phone out of his pocket. He saw his wife's name on the screen.

He looks at Tamara first who was looking at him as well with curiosity. He connected the call as he headed first to the door, making big steps.